mcordell

heavy cutaway pillow

I had sunpath send me a new cutaway handle for a customer's javelin that had the cutaway cables timed backwards of what they should be. They sent me the handle for free. When I got it today it is substantially heavier than any of my cutaway pillows. Enough so that it caught me off guard. What am I missing here? Is this standard now for sunpath or what? It's almost like it has a section of metal pipe inside.
www.facebook.com/FlintHillsRigging

Good catch on the cutaway cable length vs. RSL side.

Sunpath web site: "Using a 3/4" metal tube surrounded by padding" for their Phat Daddy handle

I was OK with making cutaway handles bigger and squarer, and with denser foam. Or even putting something like a piece of heavy vinyl tubing or hose inside to help give it grabbable shape. I personally am not a fan of the metal tube style handles, cutaway or reserve, that would jam into my ribs if ever hit or fallen onto. It also gets away from Bill Booth's design concept for keeping cutaway handles light to reduce dislodging.

When I get a rig for repack I always maintain the 3 ring including food grade silicone on the cable. That's how I caught it. I also offer that service alone free of charge to jumpers at my dz if they catch me while I am there and the rig's main is unpacked. I'd rather do it free than have people not doing it, which they never do.

I guess when they grabbed one off the shelf for me they sent their upgraded version then? I've never come across these and I don't personally jump javelins so I'd never been exposed to them.

ETA: Ok I went to the site which I guess I could have done in the first place and it's the only handle they offer. The handle that was on the rig is a regular pillow handle so I was thrown off. I guess that's just what they use now.
www.facebook.com/FlintHillsRigging

The handles with the "metal pipe" inside are the only "soft" pad style handles I'll jump anymore. The are very easy to grip and they are the only design that I trust the cable (breakaway or reserve) attachment strength.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Does the Phat Daddy have a stiffener making it impossible for the handle to fold under the harness (main lift web)?

yep, I was just going to post that very thing. To me, this is as big an improvement as what I feel is the more positive grip afforded by the "phatness" of the phat daddy.

FWIW, you could probably still get the old "soft pillow" (you can if you're replacing the ripcord per the SB from a couple years ago, for instance), but you'd have to special order it, I think.