DBTECH

USPA Legal Issue?

USPA Legal Issue?
I was at a Circle K this morning to get a refill of Hazelnut coffee, when I noticed two sizes of poster boards/sheets on the counter, of a new advertisement for Winston Cigarettes.
(Reynolds Tobacco Co.)
The smaller one measures 7" X 8", and the larger one measures 11" X 16".
Both of these posters have a great shot of a tandem pair with big smiles with all thumbs up.
The top of the posters have the word "Winston" with the words inside the letter O, "NO BULL."
Below that in the field of the photo there is the statement, "BUY 2 PACKS--GET 1 FREE."
Also in the field of the photo there is, "NO BULL--NO BOUNDARIES."
On the reverse side of the larger poster there is the same add with the tandem, but also with a photo of a Nascar driver shot through the windshield. This side of the poster is horizontal, and the tandem only side is vertical. (vertical side, much larger tandem photo) The store let me have extras of these posters.
My question is; Can a Company that sells products that are known to cause disease and death, associate any activity they desire to their products to promote sales of their deadly products, without any legal repercussions from said activities/people?
We all know of course, that there will never be a "Winston Cup" of Skydiving.
Clear Blue Skies,
Dave Brownell
Mesa, AZ

I'm no lawyer, but none of us "own" skydiving, so therefore we have no legal jurisdiction over the use of images of the sport. BTW, I haven't seen the ads you are reffering to, Dave, but I find the entire concept dispicable.
Live healthy, Skydive safely
Frank