cloud9

A corny poem

Damn the jumps and beer must have got to me tonite.
May your skies be blue and your stars shine bright.
May your canopy snivel but open just right.
May your skydives go, where no whuffo will know.
May your altimeter be truthfull, so you never pull low.
May your opening never to you be a shock.
May your 4 way or 8 way be easy to dock.
May your landings be stand up's cause you flared it just right.
This is my prayer for skydivers tonite.
See what a 20 year layoff does to ya.
Don't Ever quit
Larry

cloud9
aw. thats one cute poem. maybe i should listen to the verse that goes "May your landings be stand up's cause you flared it just right." cause im not gonna be able to handle many more belly flop landings :) ah well, if the weather cooperates then ill be practicing my landings tomorrow.
froggie

One of the guys atthe DZ was giving me crap because he thought I flared too high. I stood up the landing, sheesh, what more can you ask for?
Plus I wasn't flaring high. I was coming in in brakes since I've been jumping a hotter canopy lately. If you're having trouble landing you may want to give it a try. I found that I ususally biff it because I'm coing in too fast to time the final flare right. So for me the logical solution is to slow yourself down. Try coming in at about 1/4 brakes (rather than full up). That will slow you down enough to guage when to do the final flare easier. At least it does for me.
------------
Blue Skies!
Zennie

Zennie,
thanks for the tip. Ill talk it over with my instructor and see what he says. Hes seen what ive done, knows what i understand. I dont want to just go and try it cause i dont want to get injured or anything. The canopy that Im flying is much different from the canopy youre flying. Dont want me to end up like that little arcade amphibian FROGGER. lol. thanks again. much appreciated. I want a way to come in slower. seems like i got sensory overload when i realized how quickly the ground was approaching (not to mention that parked plane i thought i was gonna become one with). A slower approach would be perfect! Hopefully Doug and rick will think so too.
froggie

That's right, I forgot you were still early AFF.
Definitely do only what your instructors recommend. You'll have a lot of people giving you advice. While some of it may be OK for experienced skydivers, they may not be good ideas for beginners.
As far as braked approaches go, I had to learn them in AFP. Talk it over with your instructors. They may want you to hold off on them until later, but they may also give you the go-ahead to try it to see if it helps. But definitely do whatever they recommend.
My instructors were always really good about offering suggestions of things to try if I was having a problem with something.
I'll just offer this as something to think about. One of the things I was told early on was to fly the canopy, don't let it fly you. That means many things to many people, but I think it definitely means knowing how the canopy responds through the entire control range and then finding what works best for you (and the given conditions).

------------
Blue Skies!
Zennie