Jimbo

Ohio Dropzones

It looks like I'm going to end up in Ohio pretty soon and I'm looking for info on Ohio dropzones. With over 1500 registered users I'm certain that someone is from the Buckey state. So, here's your chance to sound off about your favorite Ohio DZ or complain about those that you might think deserve it.

well, i'm from "the heart of it all" (our state slogan). i happen to think that ohio is a really nice place. i'm currently living in germany so i haven't been back home much but when i am there i like to jump at aerohio in rittman (close to Wooster (pronounced wuster)). it's about a 1.5 hour drive north of columbus. they have a caravan and a twin otter and a 182. i think i remember they sent out an e-mail saying they were going to be buying another caravan. it is a nice dz out in the country, and i mean counrty, corn and bean feilds all around. soooooo open landing areas! they have a very nice place there. the dzo's are also supper nice.
on the souithern side of the state there is skydive greene county, located near xenia. they have a beech and a 206 and i'm pretty sure all summer long they have a casa! i've only made two jumps at this dz, it seams to be okay, sorry i can't say much about it.
then there is canton air sports, near canton (home of the football hall of fame) this is where i did my first jump and the next 7. it is very small. with two 182's. i would never jump there agian though. aerohio is so much nicer and alittle closer to columbus. there are other resons too though but they are my own and not for discusion. i also think the dz is up for sale also.
i have heard good things from other jumpers about clevland sport parachute center too. they have a nice facility and a virtual reality canopy simulator
where are you moving to? there are also alot of dz in the surounding states that are actually closer depending on where in ohio you move to. me personally i'm from about 25 miles north of columbus.
<>
p.s. there are also alot of other dz's in ohio. let me know what you think if you try any of them i didn't mention, i'm always looking for a new place to jump at that's not to far a drive. there's one a 45 minute drive from columbus i'm thinking about trying out next time i go home (july)
Edited by wingnut on 3/28/01 03:28 AM.

I'll pick up where wingnut left off about Xenia...
Little less than an hour west of Columbus, about an hour north of Cinci... right outside Dayton. Private strip, Beech-18, Westwind, and usually a Casa and/or Otter. Nice friendly place
http://www.skydiveohio.com/
any questions, feel free to ask

I jump at the Cleveland Parachute Center. I'm new to the sport and have only been to a few other drop zones but I've had fewer problems there and the people are great. The only problem I have had in Parkman is the weather. Other drop zones there have been many dificulties. As a student I've jumped in high winds at one drop zone. At another I had to fight to kepp my reserve from being deployed in the aircraft and had engine problems with the plane. I've never experienced any of the bad stuff in Parkman.
Get up, Fall down, No problem!
sigsby

Ohio is a pretty big state.
If you're gonna end up anywhere near Cleveland, the only DZ worth seeing is Aerohio. They're about an hour drive south of Cleveland, near Akron. They've got two otters (one climbs in under 10 minues) and a Caravan. Excellent facilities, top notch gear rental, and truely fantastic jumpers.
I also can't say enough about the owners, Tim and Sherry.
Be sure to check out Aerohio - www.aerohio.com - when you get to Cleveland.
_Am

If your gonna be in Ohio go to Aerohio. They have a caravan, otter,a suped up 182 and they are in talks to get a super otter :) The staff is super nice and there are alot of instructors and coaches if your newer. I've jumped there for 4 years and can only say good things.

If you are going to be in southern Ohio I recommend taking the drive to Greensburg Indiana. I have jumped many times at Skydive Greene County. Its a pretty good DZ with friendly people and great planes, but I would recommend Skydive Greensburg way before Greene County. Sure you can jump a CASA at Greene County but at Greensburg we have a King Air that will get you to altitude in 9-10 minutes!! Plus its a much more modern DZ. In 30 jumps at Greene County I have landed off about 10 times. In 190 jumps at Greensburg I have landed off maybe 5 times. Check them both out though. But its well worth the drive to Greensburg. If you are moving to Cincinnati it is just about the same distance to both DZs. Well get in a few jumps together if thats the case. C-ya.
Safe landings,
Alex D-23912

Hey Alex,
It depends where near Cincy you live, which is closer. I live on the east side in Batavia, and Greene County is way closer. It is about an hour and forty five minutes to two hours to Greensburg and only about an hour up 71 to Greene County for me. I plan on getting out to Greensburg sometime this spring, but flying instead of driving. I also want to check out Richmond. I flew in there today on a flight for school and see that the otter is there. To Jimbo, if you will be in the Cincinnati/Columbus/Dayton area I jump at Greene Co. and love it there. I haven't been to Greensburg, but Alex likes it so I'll have to check it out. Aerohio is great if you live in the northern part of the state (Canton, Akron) area.
Blue Skies,
Adam