airann

Night JUMPED

WOOHOO! I'm psyched! Hopefully I'll be doing my first night jump this Saturday. I'm a little nervous about it & having trouble concentrating on work here.
I only have 56 jumps, but I have all the B license requirements.
The only thing is, I just found out about the night jumps this weekend, and I don't have any kind of a light to use. Other than those glow sticks. Anyone have any advice about what I should do? Can I just go to a camping store & buy some kind of a flashlight that can clip onto my chest strap, or what?
Speed Racer
"I think I think, therefore, I think I am, I think!"

I guess I'm too late, but for anybody else who is looking for night gear I'd recommend the Firefly Plus. It is a strobe flashlight combo. I mount it on my webbing with the flashlight in front and the strobe behind. That way the strobe doesn't blind me and I can use the flashlight as a landing light.
The Dutchboy
http://www.geocities.com/ppolstra

Camping and Fishing store for chem lights AND emergency strobe in camping gear I think. Next time I will have 2, I think. One on each hip attached to leg strap.
Since I was freeflying, I had 3 chem lights and the strobe.
One chem light taped to the outside of each leg, one on my helmet. Stobe near the back of my rig. I also had a flashlight stuck under my altimeter to shine up thru my canopy, pretty! But, it wasnt bright enough and I didnt have my slider behind my head, so it blocked some light. People above you appreciate the lit canopy and the ground crew can see you as well.
You cant use a flash light for landing. You have to have both hands in toggles.
Clear Blue and Extra Alt,
AirAnn
http://www.AirAnn.com

Hey hey, hell yeah, I did my first night jump friday night in xenia, it was awesome. did a 4 way, just launched a round and watched eachother glow... the backdrop was awesome. i couldn't believe how cool it was, i really wasn't expecting it to be any more exciting that a normal jump, but it so was. the video rocks.
right on
:)lew:S

Well...I did it. Got both my night jump requirements for my D on Sat. The scenery was beautiful....ATLANTA from afar was neat. Stood the first one up right where I wanted, but thought I would check out the turf on the second. No harm...no foul.
Guess I owe my case of beer.

Hehe. I'm glad everyone had fun on their night jumps. I got my 2 on Saturday night. I must say I was lit up like a Christmas Tree :P with 2 green chemlights on my back, 2 red chemlights on my front, a strobe, a lighted altimeter, and a spare chemlight in my pocket. On the first "solo" jump, we did a 3 way with the JM who was putting us all out and just held on the whole way down. I realized right out the door the light had gone out on my altimeter. My friend Don tried to fix it, but never managed, and in fact messed the altitude on it up by about 500'. Not a big deal though, I just watched the other guys' altimeters, broke when they did, and pulled when my Ditter went off. Since the altimeter was a bit off though, I got caught a bit short on my pattern and took a nice crosswinder. I could tell when I was getting close to the ground and planed out, but next thing I knew I was rolling around on the ground. No harm done though.
The 2nd jump was a bit more uneventful. We decided we'd do a jump with our 4-way team. At first we were just going to do a round, but at the last minute we decided to turn some actual points. We ended up turning 9 points, which is more than we normally turn in the daylight. The opening, canopy ride, and landing were uneventful and very peaceful on this one.
Ahh, and since it was raining on Sunday, I decided to go ahead and take my D test. I managed to barely squeak by, so all I have to do is fax my application into USPA now. :)

If you're going to that extreme you should have green chem lights on your right side, red on the left side, and a strobe (red preffered) on your ass with a flashlight pointing forward. You'd then have the standard light pattern for an airplane with navigation lights. The flashlight would be optional.
The Dutchboy

Glad it worked out for you, Mouth. I tried to get my flight instructor to fly down to Thomaston, but didn't manage it. He actually had another lesson after mine (10pm).
The scenery was sweet over Rome at night with all the mountains, etc. around there. Launched a 4-way out of the Cessna 182 at about 3am. First time launching a formation out of a Cessna. I was shocked that it actually worked!
The Dutchboy

If you're going to that extreme you should have green chem lights on your right side, red on the left side, and a strobe (red preffered) on your ass with a flashlight pointing forward. You'd then have the standard light pattern for an airplane with navigation lights. The flashlight would be optional.

Actually, the pattern we had was the standard light pattern for military night freefall jumps (at least that's what the guy in charge said. He has something like 50 night jumps with the SEALs, so I took his word on it). If you see the red chemlight, it means you're heading towards the other person and you need to turn off. If you see the green you're behind them and should be ok. I'm sure your pattern would work out fine too (works for airplanes obviously), but we just set them up like we were instructed to.

Yes it is a beerable offense. I expect beer. Smirnoff Ice will do fine......

Yeah, it is beerable, but I was already there with my first night formation jump, and first jump in the am, etc. There is a one case per jump limit.
Mouth, why would I bring you beverages for something I did at another DZ? You going to go visit Rome and face your Cessna fear for a little booze?
The Dutchboy