geowi

Spectre

Spectres kicks ass. I loaded one at 1.3 starting at 30 jumps. At 100 jumps, loading between 1.2 and 1.3 should be OK. You'll be able to keep that canopy around for a long time. You can fly it straight in, or swoop it later on. Nice openings, fun to fly, nice landings. Probably the best all-around canopy out there.
- Macaulay

I've enjoyed my Spectre. It takes it anywhere for 800 to 1300 feet to open but the opening is generally very soft. If you don't load it high then they are not extremely fast. I load mine 1:1 exactly and generally get all I want from it. You will notice that your fall rate or glide path is more shallow. I think it is because of the semi eliptical 7 cells but I'm not sure. PD can give you the specifics if you email them.

I agree the glide is not too good on the Spectre. You can use brakes or rear risers to get back from a deep spot, but if you're short of the spot and it's windy, you're likely not to make it.
Otherwise, it's a great canopy. Soft openings and landings.
Geoff

I love my Spectre! I got a 170 at about 1.1:1 and its great! I can sink in into the peas or I can get a surf going with it. At my light loading it will only surf about 30 feet. I'm looking at getting a 150 at Quincy this summer and might just keep the 170 for use when I am jumping at a new DZ or for Demos.
BTW if any one knows of a Royal Blue and White Spectre 150 with less the 200 jumps for sale contact me ASAP!
Whoa... That was cool!

You can safely use a Spectre at a 100 jump as long as you get the right size. Load it close to or a little over 1:1. That is a very nice canopy made by PD. You will enjoy it. it is reliable. You can land it either as a demo canopy (straight down) or like a Sabre with a surf. Your wing loading will really determine how well you get back from a short spot. And I have not found the Spectre ground hungry. Not any more than a Sabre. Just chose the right size! Have fun with it.

Could the "ground hungriness" perception actually be due to the fact that it's snivelly and so you're open lower? You open lower & you have less altitude to work with to get back from a bad spot.
------------
Blue Skies!
Zennie

Ground hungry = steep glide angle. The glide angle is actually very different from size to size and loading to loading of the Spectre. The 150 probably has the steepest glide angle. Just open high if you're off (be considerate of jumpers above you, though).
- Macaulay