happythoughts

thoughts/lessons from Safety Day

Nonsense! Opening altitudes have changed. People pull at much higher altitudes now than 30, 20, or even as few as ten years ago. Pull at two grand at most drop zones today, and you'll hear about it from management.
As far as those "fast opening rounds," well, there was the Starlite and the Piglet I with reputations for slamming open, but in my experience, there is not a huge difference in opening times between rounds and squares.
The advantage to changing from rounds to squares was based on softer landings and, theoretically, more reliable openings.
Zing Lurks

Nonsense! Opening altitudes have changed. People pull at much higher altitudes now than 30, 20, or even as few as ten years ago. Pull at two grand at most drop zones today, and you'll hear about it from management.
As far as those "fast opening rounds," well, there was the Starlite and the Piglet I with reputations for slamming open, but in my experience, there is not a huge difference in opening times between rounds and squares.
The advantage to changing from rounds to squares was based on softer landings and, theoretically, more reliable openings.

NOW you tell me... I've got a Strong Starmaker reserve converted for use as a intentional cutaway... Hop-n-pop from an Otter and there was INSTANT canopy. TSO says they need 3 seconds... not sure why, the other 2.5 seconds were unnecessary...;)

JW
Always remember that some clouds are harder than others...

"NOW you tell me... I've got a Strong Starmaker reserve converted for use as a intentional cutaway... Hop-n-pop from an Otter and there was INSTANT canopy. TSO says they need 3 seconds... not sure why, the other 2.5 seconds were unnecessary..."

Try polling a number a bunch of jumpers with lots of jumps on both rounds and squares. I think you'll find that most everyone of them will be able to tell you tales of rounds and squares that have slammed open, and similiar tales of snively openings on both types of canopies.
I've been tagged so hard I saw stars by both, and had snivels so long I either did cutaway, or was about to when it opened.
Zing Lurks

"NOW you tell me... I've got a Strong Starmaker reserve converted for use as a intentional cutaway... Hop-n-pop from an Otter and there was INSTANT canopy. TSO says they need 3 seconds... not sure why, the other 2.5 seconds were unnecessary..."

Try polling a number a bunch of jumpers with lots of jumps on both rounds and squares. I think you'll find that most everyone of them will be able to tell you tales of rounds and squares that have slammed open, and similiar tales of snively openings on both types of canopies.
I've been tagged so hard I saw stars by both, and had snivels so long I either did cutaway, or was about to when it opened.

Fastest opening I've ever had - Strong Starmaker (and it did)

Slowest opening I've ever had - Strong Set 400 (3rd jump on canopy - just over 2000' from release handle to grab the risers. (having just taken my hands back off of the cut-away and reserve handles.)

So, slow/fast is not particular to the brand ;)

JW
Always remember that some clouds are harder than others...