jlstysis

Airport security and parachutes

Do a search....there's been a couple hundred posts on this one....General concensus was to carry it on in a gear bag and don't be obvious as to what's in the bag. Remember, those people at the scanning machines are not exactly the most intelligent folks you have ever run into. Otherwise they would surely have something better to do than hang out at the airport for $6-7 an hour.....:)"I got some beers....Let's Drink em!!!"
Clay

i didnt have any problems. I flew from phili to phoenix then to tuscon, back from tuscon to phoenix to philly. I just brought a discreet black gear bag (used $40) that isnt covered with any skydiving patches, logos or anything. it's really small, and my rig fits in it with little extra room. You have to have ID when you go thru security so make sure you also have your cypres card with you at that time. If you can carry one you can carry the other.
on friday im flying to florida, again with a layover. if there was a problem, i'd be surprised.
oh yeah, i originally flew to AZ the same day that that plane crashed in NY (the accident crash), within hours of the crash, when it wasnt known if it was an accident or more terrorism. and i had no problems.
http://www.geocities.com/flynfroggie/skydiving_friends.html

good point.. but make sure that youre putting your clothes in a hard suitcase, just in case they wont let you take your rig on and you have to transfer it to a safer piece of luggage. you can always switch them out.. putting your clothes in your gear bag and your rig in a suitcase.
i almost had to do this because of an excess luggage problem, and it really freaked me because my suitcase is a P.O.S. cheap walmart last minute buy. I would have felt safer doing it if it was good luggage.
http://www.geocities.com/flynfroggie/skydiving_friends.html

Ever since the tragedy, the consensus has been that you can't carry your rig on even in a gear bag. I've only flown once and checked it as luggage. I had no problems with them damaging anything...in my gear bag...
I guess its probably depending in the airline and the workers...and their mood...LOL
good luck,
Sis
I feel so alive,for the very first time-and I think I can fly! - P.O.D.

I've been on six planes with my rig since 9/11, most recently on 12/24- right after that guy tried to light his shoes on fire. Just keep it in a bag, say nothing, and don't open it while you're in the airport. Mine fits perfectly in a 21" rolling pilot case.
It is still OK to take them on planes (absolutely no reason why it wouldn't), but outta site- outta mind.
Oh- and don't forget to take out your hook knife.