Scratch

Perspective 2

I have been reading the other perspective thread for a while now and I feel I have a few things to say.
As for starting a new thread, what can I say..it gets attention:)This is my own opinion and I am sure there are those among you who will choose to differ with me....that's life.
Firstly I would like to set the scene.
I am a South African.
I am 34 years old.
I am white.
I am a mechanical engineer by profession.
If you are at all familiar with South African history those facts will tell you a few things.
Firstly that I live in a country with a 'developing' economy.
Secondly that I am a privilaged child of apartheid.
Finally that I work closely with 'previously disadvantaged' members of the community.
I cannot comment on what happens in the rest of the worlds lands only on what happens here. At least I feel that I can comment, not from the comfort of my armchair, protected by my wealthy country from all the nasty things in the world but from my rather exposed position as an African.

SA is potentially one of the worlds richest nations. It is said that God seeded wealth into the lands of the world but when he got here he simply emptied his pockets.
As a result we have a first world infrastructure, courtesy of apartheid.
We also have a third world population base, courtesy of apartheid.
This is an example of the real problems we face as a third world country.
One of the most pressing is education. The vast majority of the population is barely literate.
Educate them you say. How, when they must leave home at a young age to work so that they can eat. Or stay home to work the patch of land that grows their food.
Feed them then so they can be educated.
With what money, there are not enough skills left in the country to come close to maximising the potential of the land.
Here, have a hand out you say.
Well thanks but no thanks...there is no such thing as a free lunch.
The west gives for one of two reasons.
because they are either wanting to salve their conciences.
( the topic of a whole other debate)
or they are wanting to create a market for their goods on their own terms.
Either way they create a nation of dependants, people used to a 'hand out' mentality. A nation that will always be a vassel state to whom ever they are the most deeply indebted.
So as a developing nation your choices are limited.
Either to always be crippled or to fight your way out of the mire.
Step by step and generation by generation.
I have chosen to stay in this land rather than take my skills elsewhere because I love this country and it's people.
Has my car been stolen, yes.
Has my house been burgled, yes.
Has my life been threatened, yes.
Have I watched my ageing parents suffer due to a overloaded and decaying health system, yes.
Did I watch friends come home in body bags fighting a useless war, yes.
Yet I stay in this land because God emptied his pockets here and it is the most beautiful place on earth.
We will survive and we will grow and we will do it on our own with our pride intact.
So when you read slideshows like 'newguy' posted. Learn from them. Those lands did not get like that by accident. They were made that way and in all likelyhood made that way by your forfathers. The comfort you live in today was paid for in part by the exploitation of the third world.
If you wish to help, do so in any way you see fit...but not too much, we need to find our own way.

My 2c
Andre'

Geez, reading that made me realize how I am caught in no-man's land - being South African but choosing to live elsewhere. Its just things like the world's highest HIV, murder and rape rate that sort of put me off the place. Also the fact that the effective prison sentence for commiting murder is something ridiculous like 6 years. Like yourself, me and my family suffered from the crime and lawlessness (once violently) - now we would prefer to live elsewhere. Can't really say I feel too guilty either.
On a more personal and TOTALLY selfish note - I really appreciate and enjoy the fact that I can skydive as much as the weather and not my wallet allows. Living and working in Cape Town there is no way I could afford 150+ jumps a year (from turbines at decent altitude) and get to jump in Florida and all over Europe.
Yes, I miss South Africa (well the good things anyway) but living and working in a first world country allows me to jump more and that is the selfish honest to God truth.
Will
"Don't die until you're dead"

Hey Boet
I don't blame you. Not in the least. You have made a decision which suits you based on first hand knowledge and experience. Good!!
I am just too old, too stubborn and too befuck right now to think about resettling. ( I am having a bad day )
That might change if I have a family of my own but right now I feel like dragging this entire place into the 21 century whether they like it or not.( Fokken boesmans weet nie wat good vir hulle is nie)
It is the self rightious bleating from a mollycoddled, uninformed, pampered segment of the worlds population that pisses me off>:(.
The only thing worse is the 'Ag shame, kry vir jou n' biskuit' attitude
Don't piss on my head and tell me it is raining.
Pheeeew...fighting talk today.:D
Speaking of pissing..how is the weather your side?:)

Ja swaar, still doesn't prevent me from getting poesbedroef every Sunday when I know everybody back home is standing around the braai and talking kak about anything and everything. :)But, now I get to spend every weekend at Hinton and talk loooooooads of kak there and annoy the hell out of people! B|
Will
"Don't die until you're dead"

You give a guy a compliment, and he gets all offended and turns it into a vile sexual reference...! lol
Sometimes, some comments are not meant as sarcasm... its rare... but it happens.... (too bad it wasnt the case here.. lol)
Remster
Muff 914

did I say anything about doing RW???? lol...
PS: I cant blame my wife either.... most gay men have this uncanny (and quite useless) ability to attrac women...
PPS: I gotta give the freak a bit of credit... he didnt flail too much in the 4 way... ;)
Remster
Muff 914

Kevin is nie 'n probleem nie. Hy het kak geland en nou is sy knee in sy moer. Vloek hom, skop hom, pis op sy kar, hy kan jou nie jaag nie:D
Een ding is waar. Die Kaapse meide is vol kak deesdae.
Kan jy glo die helvde will nie eens op die eerste aand naai nie.
Die beste tyd is oor die paas naweek. Dan kom al die Jo'burg goose Kaap toe.....lekker dom en spuls.B|
Anyway as jy Suid kom laat my weet. Dan draai ons 'n paar punte boe Citrusdal.

hy het laas keer amper begin huil!!

Los vir Coenie af, die regeering sal vir jou dik moer.

Gert dis mos kak soek daai...

Militere gehalte kak soek van 'n hoe order.
Norris en Ricky Boyd is die AFF instrukteers. Altwee is.......ag wat se ek. Jy ken mos vir hulle:D
Bring die bokkie, laat sy spring. Bou net 'n groot vuur buite die tent in die aande om daai twee diere veg to hou.
btw Norris is deesdae baie meer kalm. Hy het sy ooe laat laser en hy kan nou sien. Daai dik bril het hom blind gemaak.
En ek het gedink dit was al die skommel:D

Ek het gedink sy kan by Scalabrino (kom nou, moenie vloek nie! ;)) se plek AFF doen. Ons sal net daar wees vir 2 naweke dus sal ons in die week al die AFF kak uit die pad kry en dan die naweek by die Dal kom suip, skinny dip en skydive!!!
:)"Don't die until you're dead"