bizarra

plane crash in Conway, AK

"The pilot received several cuts and bruises but is expected to live. "
Humm.. that seems like poor writing to me. Cuts and Bruises are associated with minor injuries - thus there is no question that with a minor injury they are expected to live. Unless the cut was across an artery and he bled profusely then why put "he's expected to live" that's like saying "he fell off his bike and skinned his knee, but we think he'll live"
Humm
Kevin

I keep telling people this is why I don't land in planes... too dangerous. I mean, that's when most accidents happen! :D
Glad to hear everyone is ok on this one.
Give him awhile, and I"m sure we'll get an explanation from Chris
Generally speaking, you aren't learning much when your mouth is moving

They report that it was in the process of going around on aborted landing. Glad all are "expected to live." I will post the NTSB report when it becomes available in the coming days.
From the FAA site today:
IDENTIFICATION
Regis#: 4090D Make/Model: C182 Description: 182, Skylane
Date: 04/13/2002 Time: 2100
Event Type: Accident Highest Injury: None Mid Air: N Missing: N
Damage: Unknown
DESCRIPTION
AIRCRAFT LANDING WAS TOO LONG, PILOT DECIDED TO ABORT LANDING, ACFT HIT
TREES AT END OF RWY THEN CRASHED IN A FIELD ON OTHER SIDE OF TREES, 1 UNKN
INJURY, CONWAY, AR
INJURY DATA Total Fatal: 0
# Crew: 1 Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk: Y
# Pass: 3 Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk:
# Grnd: Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk:
WEATHER: LIT 132053Z 15007KT 7SM SCT080 BKN250 27/18 A3000 LIT 132153Z 14009KT 10SM
SCT050CB SCT100 BKN250 26/17 A2999
OTHER DATA
Activity: Unknown Phase: Landing Operation: General Aviation
Departed: UNKN Dep Date: Dep. Time:
Destination: CONWAY, AR Flt Plan: UNK Wx Briefing: Y
Last Radio Cont: NONE
Last Clearance: NONE
FAA FSDO: LITTLE ROCK, AR (SW11) Entry date: 04/15/2002
Chris Schindler
ATP/CFII
D-19012
www.DiverDriver.com

Here is the NTSB link for the Conway, AR crash:
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?ev_id=20020422X00562&key=1
After reading it (and it is preliminary) I am struck by the comment about the pilot being a PRIVATE PILOT!!!!!!!! Have we learned nothing? Why are dropzones still using Private Pilots to fly jumpers? Why are we skydivers getting in these aircraft? Why does the USPA do nothing to stop this? This is totally unacceptable. The FAA has ruled that NO dropzone is allowed to use Private Pilots to fly jumpers. The "Club" exemption does not exist anymore.
I'm just glad all people on board survived this botched go-around.
Chris Schindler
ATP/CFII
D-19012
www.DiverDriver.com

Private Pilot Issue.....as far as skydiving goes, we really are kind of in the sticks, here in Arkansas.....I don't jump at Rex's place, but I only have good things to say about them..... I imagine that they were using a private pilot because it's really hard to find people to fly jumpers.....I'm not saying it's okay, but that sometimes if ya' want to jump, ya' don't question who's flying..... You should've been out to jump with us at the Patch! Trees (with a gap, of course, for the plane to fit through) at one end, and a big ditch.... Power lines at the other end....about 3000' runway. On those really hot summer days, on down wind takeoffs, with a full load, if we weren't up by the time we reached the hump in the runway, that's when takeoff was aborted. What memories..... Now we jump at airports with big ol' huge long paved runways....sometimes I'm still amazed at all the breathing room. However....at Rex's place, I think the runway's like 2800'......I don't recall there being trees at one end though....apparently there are trees somewhere? Of course the Cessna's trashed now, but they still have the Beech!
some days it's just not worth gnawing through the straps
http://home.earthlink.net/~linzwalley

Wow! Where is Emily Post (Ms.Manners) when you need her?
I would hope that people could express their opinions here without being personally attacked! If one feels the need to do so....please try using the PM, great tool for saving face and eating crow when warrented.
Diverdriver provides a valuable service to all of us by sharing the information that he does. I doubt that he was "pointing a finger" but rather expressing his opinion,(which is his right as a member of this community) while also pointing out the FAA rule re: private pilots and jump planes. It would be a loss to all of us if Diverdriver decided NOT to post here because of incidences such as these.
As to merit badges.....well let me list mine for ya'll cause I sure in the hell earned every damn one of them!
Cheers!
BB~BS;MS;Ph.D
EMPTIV, LGIT,AFYAP,CPRPR,AEA,ACE,USSSI VI, WSI,APT,ACPT,GET,.........YMCA.....it's fun to stay at the YMCA......you can get a good job, you have have a good time..:P~~~~~`
It only takes a little pixie dust......

Mark was my tandem master on my jump last year. Very, very cool guy. Everyone out there was. AR Aerosports is where I will do my AFF training next spring (had to put it off this year to help my mother). I of course have no experience so I won't comment on their safety or lack of, but I was quite comfortable out there. And then, as Lindsey pointed out, there's the issue of so few choices around here.
Rhoni