phoenixlpr

lineover

Simple answer, No. D-lines can be involved as well.

Cutting the other one would not help. Flying it straight with one toggle, one riser is not difficult.

Expanded answer.

If a line over occurs on a skydiving parachute it will clear or it won't clear. If it does not clear, use the cutaway and reserve handle for what they are designed for.

Remember, the big 7 cell canopy is going slow. It's nothing like a rear riser swoop landing then transitioning to toggles. Also, flying with nothing attached to the trailing edge is much more challenging than keeping the other toggle. Landing a canopy with nothing to secure the trailing edge is touchy as well.

He had no option but to cut the offending line. He also was very lucky the canopy was controllable enough to actually use the hook-knife. In skydiving, just go to the second parachute. It’s quicker, easier and safer.

Since that was from a BASE jump, the following reply is more suitable for BASE than it is for skydiving.

Keep the remaining toggle. Test flare with one riser, one toggle. Prepare to PLF, then flare and PLF. There are few reasons to legitimately lose both toggles from a slider down BASE jump. There's no need to go into that.

One not so legitimate reason is mis-rigging. On a slider down/off jump, the toggles don't go through the guide rings on the risers. If for whatever reason, you lose both toggles you have no choice but to fly and land with rears. I've watched un-prepared jumpers flare too high and too hard stalling the canopy completely, the canopy falls backwards and so does the jumper from whatever height the stall occurred. It seems that height is usually around 6 to 10 feet. Ouch… If you choose to BASE jump, practice rear riser flares so you have a clue when/if you need to land that way.

Losing one toggle for whatever reason, it's best to keep the other toggle whether you use it or not for landing. Flying with one toggle and one riser is much easier, especially turning toward the side with the toggle attached. Landing with one toggle and one riser is much easier too. More stopping power and better accuracy control.

Before arguing about symmetry, go fly a large 7 cell and practice using one toggle and one riser to steer and flare. Landing that way is optional. You may be surprised at how well it works. Carefully steer the canopy the direction you wish to land, prepare to PLF, flare, and whether you need to or not, just PLF.

I watched a botched flippy doo and the person lost a toggle. He landed using one toggle and one riser. He PLFed even though he could have easily stood up. I lost a toggle doing something less than smart and did exactly the same thing.

I’ve practiced landing with just rears. I can do it with confidence but it’s far easier to control with one of each.

Hope that helps.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto