jordanos

Been a long time...

It has been almost 2 years since I have jumped, and I only made it to jump 14. The last thing I did was take a packing class, but then life changed on me and I ran out of cash.

But I recently became employed in the military, am making a decent salary, and finished Airborne School. I was quite dissapointed with the round canopies, and want to start freefall jumping again. I never did reach my A license, but I've kept my USPA membership up to date.

Anyone know what exactly it will take to get back into the sport? Skydive Atlanta in Thomaston, Georgia is the closest dropzone, so it will take some weekend trips. But will I have to take my AFF all over again or just do a refresher jump or two? I am actually interested in buying a rig and all that too. I just want to do some more research before I commit to anything.

Thanks for the help.

\m/

R.I.P. Krystal. I'll find you again.

I don't know what they are going to require you to do, but if I was in your shoes I would want a minimum of another ground school and at least a couple AFF jumps. I know how much I lost as a students when I was gone for only two weeks!!

Good luck with what ever path you head down. :)

"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

While I didn't go through AFF, (S/L) I re-took the FJC and made a DRP and a hop and pop before returning to full altitude. Funny thing, I stopped after my 14th too. I would talk with instructors at the DZ and if they say you can do an recurrency jump think about what your comfortable with. After a year I wanted to take the FJC. So figure out what is required and then also think about what your comfortable with.
Sky Canyon Wingsuiters

You should take the entire ground school again, and then do at least a couple of AFF style jumps. The actual need will depend on what you remember.

I'd give the drop zone a call and see what they say, and I'd call another DZ or two in the area and get their opinions. Nobody can say exactly what you will need, but when you make the calls you should be listening to the way they approach your question and frame the issues. You should select a DZ that sounds worthy of trust. A bad DZ could rip you off and make you pay for way too much training, or they could lowball the program to save you money and then give you too little attention, which is very dangerous.

It would also be a good idea to visit the DZ before you commit a ton of money.
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

Call the DZO, Trey, at Skydive Atlanta... 800-276-DIVE. He can tell you exactly what they will require.

The only other DZ worth visiting in GA is the Farm, Hans is the DZO... 404-295-5000.

These two DZ's are really far apart. I jump at both places & love them both.:)

Next time a sunrise steals your breath or a meadow of flowers leaves you speechless, remain that way. Say nothing and listen as heaven whispers, "Do you like it? I did it just for you."