BMFin

Anyone ever jumped into a thunderstorm ?

Another true story:
In the 1930s Hitlers young men did several very dangerous things in attempts to win fame for Germany. One documented event was planned high altitude jumps through Cumulo Nimbus clouds and thunderstorms. One jump had several parachutists accually jumping into a known hail storm. It was reported that one man was airborne 30 minetes and died of hail stone impact. This has been mentioned in several histories of the early days of the Luftwaffe.

One jump had several parachutists accually jumping into a known hail storm. It was reported that one man was airborne 30 minetes and died of hail stone impact.

Sounds more like Hitler was working on thinning out the gene pool....:D
"Here I come to save the BOOBIES!"

An added thought. German paratroopers used a single riser rig with the riser attached in the middle of their back. They were expected to stabilize themselves by using their arms. I don't know if the Luftwaffe used single or double risers but if they use the single system those guys probably would have spun until they blacked out before they were beaten to death.
In Norway they expermented with flying BELOW the storm and jumped WITHOUT parachutes into snow banks. This from a Norwegian friend but I have seen no other referances to it.

I have heard a story that russians made some similar tests. They found out that if you drop a soldier from an aircraft (without anykind of chute) to deep snow, 80 percent of the soldiers will survive in a condition that they can still continue..

i personally think that you would have to be pretty stupid and pretty irresponsibe to do so. we all know that thunderstorms are dangerous whether you are on the ground or in the air.

I agree, ...Did I do it?, ...Hell yes.....
I am like BMFin, I dont regret my jump. I didnt see much of anything. It was beatin the crap out of me.
Mike Smith was flyin the Otter and I heard him say.... something, something, something.... cant go around it, return to dz... something, something..... Hop and Pop?
I heard hop and pop... I looked back at the door and this dude I know and I cant remember his name ever, but he looks like the lead singer in some band from UK. Anyway, out he goes.
I get in the door and Levin, Chris M. and some other folks kept yelling at me... I tried to hear them but .. ahhh... it didnt make any sense. Something like RAIN.. blah blah RAINING.... blah blah.... Once more I say WHAT??? and think forget it... I cant hear him.
Then I am out the door and my feet are almost off the ledge and I hear Levin scream - Its Raining ...HARD...
less than a split second later I thought..
Oh, yeah Now I know what he said....
The dude before he skirted the outside of the storm cloud. I did not due to the door conversation. I hit the cloud at about 300 feet out the door. I tried to track out of it but to no avail.
I got the crap beat out of me... When I arched to pull, I had one hand over my face, I pulled then returned my other hand to save my face.
The hard rain on my canopy was interesting and loud. I was soaked big time. And with no one around I had a great landing. I kinda skated in.
"They make great pets"
B|AirAnn's Video VaultB|