JumpNFly

question

Ok, here's my bright question of the day, need some of you vets to help me out... I'm having problems with winds when I'm under canopy... NO problems what so ever in Freefall, I think I may be a bit too comfortable for such a new kid to this sport...
I just need advice on how to learn to really pay attention to the winds... don't want to end up some place I shouldn't...

The key to walking on water... Is knowing where the rocks are

Problems like what? You can't get your pattern setup right for the winds, you're downwinding landing, etc?

Also, the best people to ask about this would be your JMs since they're the ones that know what's going on and see you jumping. :)
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

mostly my setup... my JM said I did a great job... I'm just concerned about messing up... I know the whole down, cross, final... but when I'm under canopy initially, I know I'm supposed to stay upwind, I think I'm more concerned about going the wrong way... Kind of silly I know, but that's all I'm worried about... perhaps I should do the smart thing and just watch the other guys in the sky with me... :) did I just answer my own question?

Yup, you did. :)
Just relax, if your JM says you're doing fine, then you're doing fine, don't worry about it. If its really bothering you, sit down with him/her and talk about it.

Just know it takes time to learn how to really pilot your canopy and judge the distances for landing, don't worry, it'll come. :)
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Like Aggie said, ya really need to talk to your instructors since they're the ones who know the conditions you're flyin in and can see your canopy control. General note for determining wind direction to stay in the 'cone' is look for dust / smoke columns drift, tree tops / grass, penetration checks for your canopys performance inthe wind. Ask one of your local instructors to go over it with you on the DZ BEFORE going up next time so they can point some of these things out (that are relevant to your particular DZ) so you can look for them in flight.
Hearts & Minds
2 to the Heart-
1 to the Mind-
Home of the Coconut Lounge, Spa, & Artillery Range

I have 250 or so skydives now and I've been jumping for a little over 2 years. Just last Sunday I found out it's a bad idea to follow other jumpers. I did a 5 way hybrid dive and ended up in the middle of lots of traffic when I reached my set up point. (Upwind) Well....Like a good skydiver I followed at leat 3 other canopies into the pattern leaving myself lots room for my hook. I had my camera on and you see my left arm go up to start my hook. Then I happened to look at the flags. OH SHIT....I was about to hook it down wind. I'm sure I would have been fine but it's not the greatest idea in the world with only 250 jumps. So I bailed and did a 90 left and then an easy 90 right front riser to get cross wind. Finished my turn a little low and had to carve a little to get fully cross wind. It turned out fine but was a couple of tense moments for me. It's one thing if I had PLANNED to land down wind but entirely another when I got suprised at low altitude. Of course running through my mind at the time were all the fatality reports and things I have personally witnessed when jumpers arrive at low altitude and plan A goes to shit. Now....to give those other jumpers a little credit the wind had shifted 180 degrees between opening and landing but I still should have checked. Lesson learned....Listen to your JM's and pay attention to the flags. Also....remember that when they jump with you, you are paying them for instruction. If you are unsure of something, ask, if you are still unsure, ask again. Keep asking until you understand it. It may save your life or someone elses. Above all....make sure to have fun and smile!!!!

I can tell ya if there's one thing I do well it's ask my JM a LOT of questions... Under canopy last time I think my question total was well over 1000 ;) . But It defenitely helped to ask everything...
hopefully in time i'll be flying with all of ya!B|

if you are really lost and need some direction, sure, you can watch the other jumpers - but as a rule of thumb, it's not a good idea to rely on them. i've seen a load come down with people landing every direction imaginable :S. now who are you going to follow???? it's important that you can spot the indicators yourself.

typically, before the load goes up, we'll all confer and decide on a landing direction. this serves as a great safety measure as well as giving you peace of mind...unless, of course, the winds do a major shift while you're in the plane...but that doesn't happen TOO often ;)
spiral out...keep going...

Like others have said, just figure out the landing pattern on the ground before you go up. On the ground, stand facing into the wind and look at where the sun is. Under canopy, if you're too high to see the windsock or flags, you'll still have an idea of wind direction (at least on the ground, 20 minutes ago). Start thinking about your traffic pattern right away and get yourself to your "playground" if you're not already there.

By the way, airplane pilots can have trouble visualizing traffic patterns too, even though they know what direction they'll be landing in ahead of time... Here's a cheat.

Dave

I'm not the most experienced jumper here, but generally what I do is this: I have the pattern that I plan to fly before I go up. I usually try to keep an eye on the first guy down, but I always check the indicators for myself. If the winds are strong, I make the pattern smaller, if the winds are light, I make it a bit longer. I tend to land away from traffic (I need the exercise anyway :)

Matt
A well-informed person is somebody who has the same views and opinions as yours.

A lot of it is gaining an understanding of how your canopy flies. How much altitude will I lose when I travel X-distance upwind/downwind? How much altitude will I bleed off with toggle sashays? How much altitude will I lose with braked turns?

These are things that you take into account when setting up an approach, and those only come with time under the canopy.

The more you jump, the easier it will get. And the easier it will become to adjust to a new canopy. After a while you'll just sort of know what you need to do. You develop a spatial awareness that ground huggers don't have.

About the only time I look at my alti is when I'm getting ready to set up my hook. It'll come.

- Z
"Always be yourself... unless you suck." - Joss Whedon