SFBayArea

Which altimeter to buy?

Remster

***How do you guys wear altimeter on the chest? I don't think I've seen anyone at the local DZ wearing altimeter on the chest.

Also, if I get a good deal on the used mechanical altimeter is there a place I can take it to give it a "tuning"?

Some people still wear it on the chest strap, using a "pillow". Most gear store still sell them, so look it up.

As far as tuning, Alti-2 offers factory servicing on theirs.

Thank you.

Don't put off getting an audible. L&B Solo is good (An optima is fine too if you really think you need the extra features, it's not that much more expensive).

As for the visible altimeter, as most people here I suggest an analog one. No batteries, extremely simple operation, harder to mis-read in freefall. If you eventually decide that you really, really need to know if you're at 310 or 300 feet, get a digital one as well.

I always had a spare analog in my locker and did all my jumping with a digital alti until I started to do AFF-jumps and was forced to read my alti frequently and quickly in freefall. IMHO the analog is way, way better for that purpose and I'm glad I kept it.