riddler

World's most spoiled skydiver

I just did my first Cessna jump yesterday. Jump #77. Every other jump has been out of a twin engine turbine of some sort. Can you believe that? Fortunately it was Sunday, so I don't have to buy beer until next time. I think the sport's changing a lot if a new jumper can go through all the training, jump at five different DZs and not jump a Cessna until #77.
I slept in my car - 40 feet from the runway. I was having a dream that Tinkerbell was shouting at me and trying to wake me up ("C'mon - it's time to jump!! Don't you want to jump? Let's go skydiving!!"). LOL. I guess Peter Pan's not the only kid that can fly and doesn't want to grow up. Just then, I woke up to the Cessna starting it's engine 30 feet from me. You know you're a skydiver when you wake up in your car smelling like beer and jet fuel and you have a pull-up cord in your back pocket. Anyway, my new friends at Brush were all geared up and they let me grab my gear and get on with them for the 6:30 am load.
The Cessna was cool! Went up to 5,000 and hung from the bar by one hand until I couldn't hold on anymore (all of 2 seconds). I was in shorts and a t-shirt at 5,000 feet, 7 am. Brrrr. The acceleration when I let go was awesome - I'm used to jumping out of much faster planes, and I really felt like I was falling. Can't wait to do a balloon jump!
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

Welcome to my world.

At Gimli Manitoba (C182-A, the narrow one) that's what we get. We don't get to play in the big planes unless we're wearing Army Green >:(

...so how cold is cold? this weekend it was 26 deg F at 9000 here! Turtleneck, shorts, jumpsuit. Gotta be tough to play this game in Canada, eh?:ph34r:

Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friend (Lennon/McCartney)

I hear you. Funny thing - a Cessna with me, cameraman, TM and tandem passanger was roomier than out fully loaded Twin Otter. MUCH slower too;). Still cool - hurray Skydive Pittsburgh!
jraf

Me Jungleman! Me have large Babalui.
Muff #3275

Can't wait to do a balloon jump!

Yeah! Balloon jumps are a totally different experience. The fact that they're usually performed at the break of dawn and you don't hear/feel any wind since the balloon travels with it makes this a unique experience. I recommend falling backwards and just letting go of it, feel the acceleration... it's the "fun / tingling / butterflies in your stomach" feeling you used to get when swinging as a kid, multiplied by 10 :D

[URL "http://vitleysa.online.is/?content=pictorials/deland2002.html"]Some ballon-photos from Lake Wales in this gallery[/URL]
---
P.
"It Hurts to Admit When You Make Mistakes -
But When They're Big Enough, the Pain Only Lasts a Second."