ScoopUK

High vs Low chest strap?

Quote:
What do you think about the Tear Drop (photo attached).

Scares me. But if you know me you know that my first thought is "I want to test it".

I did 2 test on different Teardrops yesterday morning. Both with normal fitting canopies. One was 14, the other 16 lbs.

Now you know why I said "I want to test it". You just can't tell by looking. You gotta test it. Good job TSE

Just to throw in my $0.02.

Just had this exact conversation with Suzie at Jumpshack a few days ago for a customer's new Racer 2k3.

90+% of racers are built with long mudflaps.

90+% of racers are built with a low chest strap.

The one you see on my bard.ca web site (my personal rig) is built with a low chest strap.
CSPA D-1046 TI Coach2 RiggerA JM SSI SSE GCI EJR Canadian 102-way record holder
bard.ca

The one you see on my bard.ca web site (my personal rig) is built with a low chest strap.

Yes, thanks. Your website is great at promoting the Racer 2k3. I understand you are a dealer, will you be doing a similar article for the Racer Classic?

From a selfish perspective it'll give me something to perv over until I receive mine but also might be good for other potential customers.

90+% of racers are built with a low chest strap.

The problem with the "high or low" question was that people wouldn't know which was "normal".

Occasionally a special low chest strap on some rigs would have handles ABOVE the chest strap, but that never found much favour.

And I recall old Racers (early 1980s) having a relatively high chest strap, with the chest strap stitching just being an extension of the 3-ring attachment stitching.

So it is good to know what the normal version is.

will you be doing a similar article for the Racer Classic?

I don't think so. While the classic has a couple of features that may make it better (hinging between the main/reserve tray for comfort, main riser covers that don't interfere with the reserve deployment), I just can't get over the styling.

The Racer 2k3 styling is more modern-looking to me, and I prefer it.

In any case, other than the 2 features listed above, and the styling, there are no real differences between the classic and the 2k3. Just pick which style you prefer. That racer features page basically applies to both rigs.

And (I just learned) - you can now get any Racer with the "Racer Swoosh" (like on my rig) sidewall embroidery design as a free option, in any color.
CSPA D-1046 TI Coach2 RiggerA JM SSI SSE GCI EJR Canadian 102-way record holder
bard.ca

While the classic has a couple of features that may make it better (hinging between the main/reserve tray for comfort, main riser covers that don't interfere with the reserve deployment), I just can't get over the styling.

I reckon the Classic looks better personally but it's all down to individual taste I guess. In any case, function over form!

And (I just learned) - you can now get any Racer with the "Racer Swoosh" (like on my rig) sidewall embroidery design as a free option, in any color.

That's pretty cool. Hmm, I wonder if they would do it on a Shadow Racer?