Mbo5128

New skydiver

Hello I'm a new skydiver about to finish my AFF training and looking to buy my own gear. I have a friend ex skydiver who has a wings container with 170 sq ft main and reserve that wants to sell to me. I'm 6'1 and weigh 190 pounds. Any suggestions as to whether jumping a 170 would be a good safe idea?

Oh god..here we go again. [:/]

Another golden-boy who thinks he's bulletproof after graduating AFF.

Why are you attacking him? He in no way indicated that he "should" be jumping a 170 or that he is even capable. All he did was ask a question. So either answer it with respect or go and post somewhere else. I'm sure there's no shortage of the type of amusement you're looking for in the swooping forum. I'll even start a thread for you if you like. :S
"Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way." -Alan Watts

Hello I'm a new skydiver about to finish my AFF training and looking to buy my own gear. I have a friend ex skydiver who has a wings container with 170 sq ft main and reserve that wants to sell to me. I'm 6'1 and weigh 190 pounds. Any suggestions as to whether jumping a 170 would be a good safe idea?

Oh god..here we go again. [:/]

Another golden-boy who thinks he's bulletproof after graduating AFF.

Why are you attacking him? He in no way indicated that he "should" be jumping a 170 or that he is even capable. All he did was ask a question. So either answer it with respect or go and post somewhere else. I'm sure there's no shortage of the type of amusement you're looking for in the swooping forum. I'll even start a thread for you if you like. :S

hey bro..meet me and TracyS at the bar...we'll have a brewski over this *looks at TracyS* B|

Not a thing in the world wrong with wanting your own equipment. You get to begin jumping the same canopy repeatedly instead of bouncing around different student rigs and not knowing how it has been handled since you last jumped it.
Your own gear, you get used to how IT flies and start to better refine your skills.

I agree. That was the main reason I decided to buy my own gear. And I had only 30 jumps when I ordered it.

+1

B|

Those kinds of answers, to simple questions, prevent people from having honest conversations.

Everything turns into "Drama Zone" and while it's mildly entertaining from time to time (their are those that ask for it) it's not necessary every damn time someone asks a question.

Re jump numbers and profile? That's my number one piss off. If you've got the balls to post here, put your numbers out there as well as your IDENTITY. I always question anyone hiding behind relative anonymity.

Now it's time for a commercial break from our sponsors...

Only you and your instructors know your canopy skills. If you are getting a smoking hot deal on that gear and it fits you like a well worn glove and you intend on using rental gear until you are fit and capable of flying that wing load, sure...

Here is the issue, you will have that nice gear of your own and fool yourself into thinking you are ready for it, before you really are.
When I started I bought a PD 190, (read F-111) I was 175 lbs and did 100+ jumps on it, then I went to a 170 Spectre. Did a few hundred jumps on it, I started working at my DZ full time and went to a 135 Stiletto after jumping a lot of other peoples gear. Getting canopy coaching etc.. I then went to a Stiletto 107 and did a 1000+ jumps on it. Now that I don't work there any more and don't jump as much as I would like to I am on a 119 Crossfire 2. So I went up in size.

So pace yourself, talk to your instructors or better yet the DZO to evaluate you, take what they say as constructive criticism, and learn how to fly before you buy.
Buying bigger used gear, then resale it when you are truly ready could be a more cost effective way to go.

@ Tracy, do the Dew, I’ll bring a home brew….

+1

Re jump numbers and profile? That's my number one piss off. If you've got the balls to post here, put your numbers out there as well as your IDENTITY.

I agree!!! That's why I have my real name and all my exaggerated info listed in my profile. So, everyone knows what a lying asshole I am. :P
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."