Matthurin

Missing stitches at the left end cell's nose

Hi there,

I bought an Electra 150 a few months with about 400 jumps, loading it at 1.32.

I did about 20 jumps on it, and realised yesterday while packing that some stiches were off at the left end cell. It's located right at the link between the leading edge and the cell side, and about 0.5/6 inch is unstitched.

My first concern here is to know if it could get worse and if I should go straight to see my rigger to fix this, as I guess the pressures exerted at this point can be quite high during the opening, and I wouldn't like to see my canopy tearing off right above my head... [:/]

The other thing I wonder is if it could be due to my pack job, as I tend to put the 4 left and right cells into the middle one.

Any opinion is welcome!

Cheers,

Matthieu

Hi there,

I did about 20 jumps on it, and realised yesterday while packing that some stiches were off at the left end cell. It's located right at the link between the leading edge and the cell side, and about 0.5/6 inch is unstitched.

My first concern here is to know if it could get worse and if I should go straight to see my rigger to fix this, as I guess the pressures exerted at this point can be quite high during the opening, and I wouldn't like to see my canopy tearing off right above my head... [:/]

The other thing I wonder is if it could be due to my pack job, as I tend to put the 4 left and right cells into the middle one.

Any opinion is welcome!

Cheers,

Matthieu

It will take your rigger longer to set up the sewing machine with the correct color thread to fix it, than it will take to actually fix it.

Sometimes a stitch will fail and start backing its way out. Half of an inch doesn't sound too terrible, but I'd fix it as soon as you can. No reason to not err on the side of caution.

FWIW I've seen canopies with torn out ribs landed and people walking away, but that doesn't mean that I want to. ;)
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Hi there,

Any opinion is welcome!

Cheers,

Matthieu

It will take your rigger longer to set up the sewing machine with the correct color thread to fix it, than it will take to actually fix it.

Sometimes a stitch will fail and start backing its way out. Half of an inch doesn't sound too terrible, but I'd fix it as soon as you can. No reason to not err on the side of caution.

FWIW I've seen canopies with torn out ribs landed and people walking away, but that doesn't mean that I want to. ;)

I was going to add that without seeing a picture of the problem area we couldn't really give an honest answer, so take it to the rigger or post a pic.

And yes, I have landed with small tears in my nose (from CRW) just fine, but I'd just as soon rather not to either. ;)
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

My first concern here is to know if it could get worse and if I should go straight to see my rigger to fix this...

It's scary that you're even questioning whether or not a rigger needs to look at it to see if it needs to be fixed. This should be an unqualified "yes", with no hesitation on your part. Don't ever jump intentionally with something that isn't correct, or that you're not sure about.

Yep! I doubt anyone who has posted thus far would jump it again without getting it looked at/fixed.

Why chance it? It could never devolve, or it could last awhile, it could slowly unravel, or it could blow up above your head.

Get it checked out fixed before you jump it again.
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

Thanks for the feedback!
Well that's what I intended to do anyway. I was just wondering this as it's only a few millimeters big, and as I have little knowledge in terms of canopies and that I prefer to be 100% sure about the equipment I jump I also came here to seek advice, and I thank you guys for it!

Cheers,

Matthurin

Yep! I doubt anyone who has posted thus far would jump it again without getting it looked at/fixed.

I would :P.

But then again, I am a rigger and probably would've fixed it within a couple minutes of finding it anyways. :D:D
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message