xijonix

PD-190 9 cell Wingloading

I've noticed that the old PD 9 cells have a max weight equal to their size. I remember reading somewhere however that they tend to have better flight characteristics when loaded at 1.1-1.2:1 but that they would not last as long if the max exit weight is exceeded. Has anyone flown one of these canopies at a higher wingload than recommended and what was can you say about it.

I would say the old PD canopys were F-111 material hence they had a max load of the size of the canopy.
the wingloading you describe i would suggest is for a ZP material canopy, the tend to fly a bit better with a smaller wing loading.
if you considering buying a main, i would strongly suggest that you get a ZP canopy to start with. ZP do last longer than the F-111 material

Rodger

I remember reading somewhere however that they tend to have better flight characteristics when loaded at 1.1-1.2:1

Never heard that one. I've flown F111 9 cells at 1.1 ish; they flared like shit.

If you're looking to save money on a used main, you'll be happier in the long run with an older zp canopy - perfectly airworthy original Sabres and Triathlons can be found for under $500.

I remember reading somewhere however that they tend to have better flight characteristics when loaded at 1.1-1.2:1

Never heard that one. I've flown F111 9 cells at 1.1 ish; they flared like shit.

If you're looking to save money on a used main, you'll be happier in the long run with an older zp canopy - perfectly airworthy original Sabres and Triathlons can be found for under $500.

Less popular canopies are even more affordable (yet less common). You can find used Monarchs for $350.

Having trim checked before you buy would be a fine idea though - although the ZP fabric can last for thousands of jumps, outboard Spectra lines can shrink s ignificantly in hundreds of jumps changing the trim, how a canopy opens, and how it flares.