costanza

flysight

looking for a sample flysight data file, anyone out there have one I could look at? typically, how big are the files on average? anyone have an idea on the amount of data this thing generates (x MB/min)?

to anyone that has a flysight, do you use it, how is the data that comes off, useful? how easy is it to use, any issues with device orientation?

If you're still looking for more, you might get feedback in the wingsuit forum. It's my understanding that it's more of a tool for wingsuiters than anybody else. You're looking to collect data during the canopy flight portion of a jump? Maybe folks in the swooping forum know of a device for collecting data.

Ken

There are definitely a few swoopers using FlySight. A post to the swooping forum might get some answers, if that's where your main interest lies.

As far as orientation goes, it's much the same advice as for wingsuiters--the top of the FlySight should be pointed toward the sky during flight. If you're thinking of using the FlySight for canopy flight, you'll probably mount it a bit closer to the top of the helmet, rather than at the back.

Are there any specific questions I can answer for you?

Michael

looking for a sample flysight data file, anyone out there have one I could look at? typically, how big are the files on average? anyone have an idea on the amount of data this thing generates (x MB/min)?

to anyone that has a flysight, do you use it, how is the data that comes off, useful? how easy is it to use, any issues with device orientation?

Set for 5 datapoints per second a 72 second file is 36k.

Follow the directions about letting it get a fix for 15 minutes at the start of the day, and also the pre-jump time on. No issues for me if I follow the instructions.

With the free viewer you can see where you were over the ground. This nice for tracking or if you want to look at your canopy flight.

I have ambient sound blocking earphones/plugs and listen to the tones while in flight. In the vertical mode, you can quickly learn about how to fall faster or slower without a partner. This was good for me filling slots on C-182 tandem loads when it came to not jumping or going solo. Glide ratio mode is fun if you like to track.

Here are some graphs and ground track images from the free viewer.
http://pyrodan.privatedata.com/skydive/tracking/tracking-data-sept-1-3.pdf
Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”

Just bought one and used it in a canopy course thus weekend (Flight-1 201). I'm excited to be able to practice a canopy maneuver up hugh and see how much altitude I'm losing and how long it takes my canopy to recover. Then, when I have a ton of consistent practices with my body on my gear and I'm ready to try a maneuver closer to the ground (when I'm consistently putting out the same results, smooth inputs, etc) I'll know how much time and altitude I need to do so - those factors become an exact number from flysight data, not a guess or an approximation of what's a safe altitude to start from, an exact number.

For anyone working on accuracy, seeing your path over the ground and comparing it to the result you produced shows you where to make adjustments (either change your plan or if the plan is good, just fly your plan correctly). For anyone working on swooping, the graphs will show you your consistency between maneuvers, if you are smooth or are jerking things around, etc, all before you are at a lever where it makes sense to bring a maneuver close to the ground for a video debrief.