freeflir29

Gotta love Corporate America

Holy Shit!!! Here it is 5 days before Christmas. I saw some "strange" things going on in the office yesterday. However, doing what I do best I was MINDING MY OWN DAMN BUSINESS. Well....today, I find out that my boss got FIRED yesterday afternoon. Merry Christmas!!! :D No idea why and don't care but that is pretty rude. They could have waited a week.....

but when we fire people it is usually about a week before Christmas - cause that is when we get our raises, bonuses and reviews.......

Not sure about reviews but the bonuses come at the end of the 1st and 3rd quarters. I know it wasn't a lay off so he must have done something pretty bone head to get the ax. It's not really that easy to get fired from here. Hey...I've been here almost 2 years now...:D

If I had to fire somebody because of cutbacks, I would try to do it as humanely as I could. If I had to fire somebody for cause, I would do it IMMEDIATELY without regard to holidays, personal issues, or anything "humanitarian".

A friend of mine who hires and fires at a large firm whose name everyone would recognize says the last four people he's fired had all just recently bought houses, which seems like unfortunate timing. However, they've all deserved it. He wonders if there's something in the house-buying process that makes people go nuts at work.

First Class Citizen Twice Over

He wonders if there's something in the house-buying process that makes people go nuts at work.

Probably just a lot of distraction.

If I had to fire somebody for cause, I would do it IMMEDIATELY without regard to holidays, personal issues, or anything "humanitarian".

Yeah...it's ugly but it has to be done. Ever see that episode of King of the Hill where the bug guy gets a job firing people....:D Funny stuff!!!!

It's poor judgement to lay-off or fire ANYONE right after hunting season. They've been praticing, workin' on and reloading their rifles for the last 90 days:S
Well,
Due to my Flu being contagious, I'm not at work until Monday.
They guy that is suppossed to be working with me on Christmas Day just got laid off this morning and 2 other friends of mine.
If Lines are down across the road on X-mas, I'm not doing it alone!>:(
If the company is so smart then the F-ing $14,000,000.00 a year CEO bastard can get out and fix it.:P
AND yes, Verizon Service techs will be out and working on lines on Christmas Day. If it is an emergency of a Medical saftey need.
See ya on the 25th;)
-Grant

That's bad, but it could be worse. A former employer of mine makes a habit of sending out more offer letters than positions (ie, dollars) available. At least once they hired a guy on an H1B visa only to can him 3 weeks after he started.

H1B = must work or be in school to stay in the country, if you lose your job you have to find another in like 2 weeks or you become INS fodder

needless to say I don't work there anymore...

Nathaniel
My advice is to do what your parents did; get a job, sir. The bums will always lose. Do you hear me, Lebowski?

He wonders if there's something in the house-buying process that makes people go nuts at work.

Depends on the realtor, I guess. I've never had a client lose their job during or right after (within a proximate time) of closing an escrow.

My standard disclaimer to clients who're buying is:"This process can be a nightmare or an adventure. And the difference depends on our communication!"

And so far, everyone has chosen adventure. Sometimes they're my nightmare, but that just means I need to change my communication a bit...

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

Verizon Service techs will be out and working on lines on Christmas Day

Bellsouth will too. But we are union so we get paid about 40% more on holidays!! :D

We are CWA 13000, I'm at Top rate(13yrs Svc) & It 2 1/2 X's hourly straight pay for 8 hours and we do 4 hrs each on X-mas.:P (I'll PM you)