Genie

When do you stop being 'Current' and what do you do about it?

Hi Guys

just looking thru the perris day post and saw the line 'Logbooks will be required to prove currency' or something like that - which inspired my question.

When do you stop being current - and what happens? I had the impression that as i am now a licensed skydiver, if i havent jumped for a while, its a good idea to do a solo first but i was never told i would have to get more training or anything..

I havent jumped since September - combination of no time with school, my dz undergoing an atmosphere transplant for the worse, and reserve repack that i didnt get around to because of the first two reasons :)
Whats the story???

Genie

Who licensed you? USPA has specific guidelines regarding currency. If you have license X and haven't jumpen in Y months you need to jump with an instructor or coach. USPA dropzones will adhere to those guidelines. Check out the specifics at www.uspa.org

That would explain it - I have a Parachute Association of Ireland license :) and we do have differing rules - tho we were the first association to start giving out the international certificates - i of course havent bothered to get one yet.

I better check the uspa site anyway as it looks likely that it will be the states im jumping in next.
thanks for your help!

Genie

From Genie's profile, it looks like it's the PAI...

Taken from the other thread:

We require you to be a USPA member. Please be sure your reserve is in date and bring your identification (drivers license or passport) and your signed log book with you. Your logbook is required to show currency.

I'm guessing that they'll be following the USPA currency guidelines, no matter who you're licensed by (but I could be wrong). If you have a B license and haven't jumped in the last 90 days, you need to do a check dive with a USPA Instructor "demonstrating the ability to safely exercise the privileges of that license."

I'm not sure what the PAI's currency rules are, but if you jump again less than 90 days before Perris, you should be alright with the USPA.

-Miranda
you shall above all things be glad and young / For if you're young,whatever life you wear
it will become you;and if you are glad / whatever's living will yourself become.

Dont know about your situation but out of my 26:o jumps,4 are recurrency:$jumps.Its been up to 9 months between and I have had to do full ground refresher and an aff level 4/6 combo to get back in the air.Im doin school and with my wifes health problems,jumping is a very hard thing to afford especially being a lowtime,gear renting jumper.

My personal opinion of the recurrency requirements is if it will make me as safe a jumper as possible, for myself and others,by all means lets do it.

dropdeded

------------------------------------------
The Dude Abides.
-

I know what you are saying - and as a student i made d*mn sure never to go more than 6 weeks without jumping - i do completely agree with you regarding safety is best...
But i off student status now - and i would think for my own head that a solo or two would be fine without needing an instructor with me - i dont have that many jumps but i know where all the handles are :)
Genie

Thanks for your info Lolie, just to clarify, im not thinking of going to the perris boogie - i just saw the currency requirement and wondered about it.
And you're right - PAI all the way :)

Does that currency requirement of 90 days stand all the time? or just for someone at my level? (which is low!)

Genie

Does that currency requirement of 90 days stand all the time? or just for someone at my level? (which is low!)

It changes according to what license you have... 60 days for A license, 90 for a B, etc...

You can read about recurrency training on pg. 105 of the SIM (Skydivers' Information Manual): http://www.uspa.org/Publications/SIM/SIMtext/2003_SIM.pdf

-Miranda
you shall above all things be glad and young / For if you're young,whatever life you wear
it will become you;and if you are glad / whatever's living will yourself become.