nerd137

Bad exit, big FAIL for AFF3

You didn't mention that you were relaxed in the tunnel...

Well, I did say that I had a big smile on my face...that was my way of saying I was relaxed. Haha. :P

Yeah, me too. Just don't freak me out.

Me? Freak you out? Nah, no way. Uh-uh. Wouldn't happen. I'm too...oh, what's the word...ummmm....oh!...r e l a x e d. ;)

I know this is a really old thread, but it is entirely relevant to my experience today. Had my AFF4 a few days ago, and after an AFF3 with slight stability problems, I was able to get stable and perform my turns without any problems after instructor release. Little bit of instability when I reached for my handle, but otherwise, AOK.

Today I had my first solo exit. The exit was fine, but I just wasn't able to get stable.

Point being, I think I'm going to head to the wind tunnel. I know I'm over-analyzing what I need to do with my arms and legs and I'm not relaxing - I'm trying to force my limb positions. I somewhat considered a wind-tunnel, but now I'm convinced that it would be the best way to break through the only real problem I'm having at the moment.

I'm so interested in this sport, and as someone else said, failure isn't an option. I'm not used to doing things poorly, but my focus on the problem is causing the problem.

Thanks nerd - hope you're well along the path of skydiving.

Point being, I think I'm going to head to the wind tunnel.

Curious:
How much effort is involved in going to your nearest wind tunnel?

Do you live in a location where you have one within driving distance or will you have to travel a long way to get to a WT?
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…

I know this is a really old thread, but it is entirely relevant to my experience today. Had my AFF4 a few days ago, and after an AFF3 with slight stability problems, I was able to get stable and perform my turns without any problems after instructor release. Little bit of instability when I reached for my handle, but otherwise, AOK.

Today I had my first solo exit. The exit was fine, but I just wasn't able to get stable.

Point being, I think I'm going to head to the wind tunnel. I know I'm over-analyzing what I need to do with my arms and legs and I'm not relaxing - I'm trying to force my limb positions. I somewhat considered a wind-tunnel, but now I'm convinced that it would be the best way to break through the only real problem I'm having at the moment.

I'm so interested in this sport, and as someone else said, failure isn't an option. I'm not used to doing things poorly, but my focus on the problem is causing the problem.

Thanks nerd - hope you're well along the path of skydiving.

hey, after my lv3 the weather turned crap so we decided to drag an instructor 1&1/2 hrs to a wind tunnel for 5, 2min sessions. i feel it really help and when you relax you can really feel yourself sink, i was so tense in the tunnel and the air i looked constipated lol.

dont beat yourself up jut enjoy jumping an it will all come togther soon, well its taken me 5months to get my A licence due to crap weather, i know id rather be flying and failing than sitting watchin windsocks!!

keep at it dude.

Actually, I thought there was one nearby in Northern New Jersey, but now I can't find any reference to it so I'm not so sure anymore. I don't have any trips to Vegas planned in the near future, and I won't be able to wait that long before jumping again.

Yeah, I'm not relaxed, I know that. Easier to say it and know it than it is to really do anything about it other than keep jumping. I'm not nervous about what could go wrong, I'm just not letting go and giving in to the air flow.

Thanks for the responses! You bet I'll be keeping at it ;)

Actually, I thought there was one nearby in Northern New Jersey, but now I can't find any reference to it so I'm not so sure anymore. I don't have any trips to Vegas planned in the near future, and I won't be able to wait that long before jumping again.

Good, get back in the air, you will get it! Just relax and listen to your JM's, there is nothing to worry about other than the fact that winter is right around the corner - so you best jump while ya can...
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…

alright, since everyone else gets there .02 i will give my low numbered elsinore jumping, scary L3 jump story. i just started spinning really really really fast, (still dont know my body position to spin that fast) shark docked on me and i realized i was at 5.5k and should probably pull, pulled landed, went to the tunnel and havnt had a problem getting stable since. although i still thinks shark's sig should say "try the tunnel." :). just throwing it out there, the tunnel helped me a shit ton.
JewBag.
www.jewbag.wordpress.com