staticnewbie

Military types - should I join up?

Soooooo, I'm graduating in about 3 months, and let's just say the future ain't exactly looking bright. My employment record sucks, mainly due to a lack of jobs where I live, and not being able to move, so no-one is going to give me a job without experience, and I can't get experience without having a job.

However, the armed forces would take me instantly. It's something I've always had as a backup plan, if only for a few years. I was in the cadets for a year while at school, but it was a total mickey mouse operation which bore no similarity to what actually happens in the forces, so the fact that I didn't stay doesn't really say anything about my suitability for life in the forces (for the record, I did everything I was asked to do, the instant I was asked to do it).

If I were to join up, it would be in either the Paras or the Royal Marines (family and friends in these Regiments, so these were just natural choices). I know training and selection are hard, but I've never given up on anything in my life, and would be dissatisfied if I ended up in a regiment that wasn't one of the two above.

Obviously I have no desire to take another person's life, but will do so if my life, or the life of comrades or civilians is at risk. Some have said that armed service is just not right for someone who is essentially anti-war, but I figure better that than a bloodthirsty maniac, right?

Just want to get opinions from those who have served/are serving/are thinking about joining up.

FYI this war in particular has no bearing on my decision, or the timing of this post. I think it's immoral and illegal, but I would still do my duty if I were serving out there. So confused...[:/]

This username sucks, so I'm BBKid now instead. Replies, insults, sexual favours and death threats to be sent there from now on.

M8 Im in the Rn best thing I ever did. SUcks occasionally but what job doesnt. Military aint for everyone but I'd go Royal Marine if i was in your shoes. Get to your local careers office and ask them to sort you a visit to Lympstone for a week to se life there. Whatever you do dont fall for the 'well i know you want to join as that but if you join as this then you can transfer later' line at the careers office its BS so stick to your guns. If you want more advice PM me :)

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."

Have a serious look at the line where you say you don't want to take a life. If you join either of the two units you are referring to that is your job description. You are a soldier first and always. Also you may want to look a bit towards the future and what you'll do when you leave.
There are plenty of other opportunities to be airborne or commando. Both 16 Air Assault and 3 Commando brigade have support arms that serve with the fighting troops (Signals, Engineers, medics) and have to qualify just the same as the infantry. Even the Padre has to pass the Commando test or P company.

David