Jonesy920x

Long Absence and Canopy selection

Hi All,

Been out since 1994:$ but looking forward to getting current again. History and stats
Weight: 210, exit~235 same as 94B|
Jumps:+600
Canopies jumped: Started on a Clipper then, PD 170, excalibur (sold due to harsh opening) Sabre 1 170, and last a Sabre 135

I flew the Porter at Deland where I was introduced to swooping! Watched Rickster swoop the ditch in his ZP Excalibur. I was hooked from that day forward and swooped the 170 and 135.

So now I'm 45 and the canopies have changed sooooo much. I'm not stupid enough to think I'll be able to surf for quite some time or even fly the elliptical the way they should be. So I'm stuck...I'll need to get a transition canopy and get current without breaking my legs, back, etc:S

I know it all depends on my relearning curve. One shop suggested I jump at least a 235...ugghh I didn't even jump that big as a student. A trusted friend and current jumper suggested jumping student gear for a couple jumps then get a pilot zpx 168 or 188 and fly that for a year or two until I can wring it out. My container is a 98 Racer with a smart 160 reserve. Any suggestions?
Experience is knowing a lot of things you shouldn't do !

I'd upsize the reserve first. A 1.5 wingloading is pushing it a lot if you're not super current. I know, I've done a couple rides loaded like that.

You'll probably end up with something like a pilot, safire 2 or sabre 2 in size 190 or even a 170. But for your first couple dozen more jumps back, a 210 size canopy of the above type sounds very advisable. Then downsize to a 190 and after that see if you even want a 170 since modern canopies are more responsive anyway then a sabre 1. You might like a 190 sabre 2 much better.
Face it, you're older now and therefore more prone to injuries, and you're not a lightweight either which doesn't help. You're also wiser I presume, so make some smart decisions.

For now you don't just need a transitional canopy, you need a transitional rig. As in, with a 210+ reserve and a 210+ main.

Even when/if you start jumping a 190 or 170 main, a 160 reserve loaded like that is not that smart an idea.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Yes that's exactly what I was thinking. I'd END UP with a 180-190 main and the same for the reserve. I have access to a vector with a 210 reserve and up to a 210 main. I'll take your advice and jump that for awhile. And yes I hope I am smarter....

I'm also not a "fat" 210 I'm 10% BF so losing weight isn't much of an option.
Experience is knowing a lot of things you shouldn't do !