MattM

ok true computer geeks...

I did that once. There's a way to fix it, but I'll be damned if I can remember how. I'll have to think on it.

edited to add: He's right it has something to do with administator access.
Keith

Don't Fuck with me Keith - J. Mandeville

and like he said, TAKE ownership of the folder and all child objects....

Right click on the folder, scroll to security, click on advanced, Take ownership
I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. eat sushi, get smoochieTTK#1

then start with the folder and work your way down. the owner can always change perms on a file. if you are the administrator but not the owner you can take ownership and become the owner in this way (you can't give ownership back without hax0ring iirc) .
My advice is to do what your parents did; get a job, sir. The bums will always lose. Do you hear me, Lebowski?

I dont even know WHAT THE HELL Y'ALL ARE TALKING ABOUT:|

Don't feel bad, I don't either, but I always read these posts, thinking I'll learn something:S.

J

--------------------------------------
Sometimes we're just being Humans.....But we're always Human Beings.

Well, you MUST have an ADMIN account (which can't be deleted BUT can be renamed), in situations like that, login as ADMIN and fix the 'MESSES' you might have created. :)

you MUST have an ADMIN account

Indeed, and you must have set this up when installing the OS/turning on the PC for the first time (if it all came pre-installed). Try your default passwords.

At a worst case, you might be able to go into recovery mode (stick in your WinXP cd-rom and re-boot the PC), or to use a boot disk (if your file system is FAT32) to backup your files.

are you on NTFS or FAT32 - that will also effect how security is handled. But they are right - log on as admin and take ownership. Unless you were using encryption, that should work.