chriswhit

Helments

I had the Revolve and now have a G2. To me the Revolve was much more comfortable, but more bulky than the G2. I also felt like I had to fumble around with the opening a little more than I wanted to with the Revolve. However, with him just off of AFF I would think the Revolve may be the way to go since he can wear it as an open face. My instructor didn't want me to wear a full face until I was close to getting my A.

Skydiving helmet brands can be quite different shapes! I know it's less of a surprise, but I recommend getting your kid to try some on... one person's comfy helmet brand is another person's annoying fit.

(Also, the advice about not getting a full face helmet for a while is very good - some countries even have license restrictions on them, and they have reasons for it!)
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

Also, the advice about not getting a full face helmet for a while is very good - some countries even have license restrictions on them, and they have reasons for it!

What are the reasons? I have my opinions but still haven't heard why it's good to wait longer than say, an A license or equivelant.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

The main ones, which might be the same as yours, are awareness and peripheral vision. The BPA restrict them to B license (minimum 50 jumps), the idea being (I guess) that you are hopefully taking more in from your surroundings and actively looking around more by that stage.

They definitely also make it harder to see your handles.

Helmet design will one day reach a point where these concerns aren't important any more, but I don't think we're there yet.
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

One thing to add about the Revolve if you go that direction. I would make sure he follows through with wearing it as a open face until at least his A (or longer). You get used to it, but you definitely have to "feel" for the ladder strap holding the face mask down. When you are new and still learning. The time spent messing around with that mecahnism really isn't ideal when there is so much else going on. And if you can't get it open, the Revolve definitely has reduced peripheral vision with the face down and will be an extra distraction while trying to focus on landings.

One thing to add about the Revolve if you go that direction. I would make sure he follows through with wearing it as a open face until at least his A (or longer). You get used to it, but you definitely have to "feel" for the ladder strap holding the face mask down. When you are new and still learning. The time spent messing around with that mecahnism really isn't ideal when there is so much else going on. And if you can't get it open, the Revolve definitely has reduced peripheral vision with the face down and will be an extra distraction while trying to focus on landings.

Just seconding this. It can be hard to index the visor release under canopy especially when wearing gloves.