ineed2fly

Freebag construction question

I'm currently building a cutaway harness for a paraglider so instead of a throw out round reserve, you can cut away to a ram air (base canopy) with a MARD style system. Its a single handle system (the cutaway handle gets rid of the glider and opens the reserve container/pulls it to line stretch) I'm building the free bag right now, and I'm basing the design off a sky rig free bag, but I'm going back and forth on what to do for the 2 locking stows. Not sure if I should do it like a safety stow, or just 2 rubber bands like a D-bag. I'm not worried about the rubber bands hanging up, I'm more worried about them breaking prematurely and getting bag strip. Any thoughts?
"As soon as you're born you start dying. So you might as well, have a good time."
-CAKE

I'm crazy not stupid. There is a difference.

If you are going to be using this as your "reserve" it sounds like it will be packed for long-er periods of time. I would go with the safety stow purely to remove the possibility of dry rotted bands in your reserve. My buddy had Brandon at Bad Seed build him a 3 ring system on each legstrap of his BASE rig to attach his PG/SG to for intentional cutaway to BASE canopy jumps. Last I talked to him he had 2 successful SG to BASE canopy transitions. Brandon might have some ideas, pick his brain. Regardless of what you come up with, please post pics of your MARD/final product. It sounds cool, and anything is better that that "cross fingers, sling to the side and hope it works" reserve. Just curious-would that be legal for SG use as a reserve according to the USHPA?

-Harry
"Sometimes you eat the bar,
and well-sometimes the bar eats you..."

It will probably be used for acrobatics, paraglider rollovers/dbags from hot air balloons etc, where the likelihood of something going wrong is much higher, and you wouldn't want to ride a round, and just for fun of course ;) If everything goes right and I'm coming into a nice grassy field from 500 I highly doubt I'd land the paraglider :P So for the occasions when I use it I will swap my base canopy over from my base rig to the container and back afterwards. Not sure on legality as far as USHPA goes, as far as use in comps or something like that? The inspiration comes from this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqYKBOa6VZY

apparently its sort of for sale, but insanely expensive as you need to buy a canopy with it etc. And id rather have a go at it myself :S

"As soon as you're born you start dying. So you might as well, have a good time."
-CAKE

Are you going to use a BASE canopy or a skydiving reserve?
You say BASE but also talk about a freebag.
In my opinion a BASEcanopy and bag is a big no-no.

http://youtu.be/JntccxoeYls
If you remove the tailpocket, then I gues it could work. But you would end up with a large skydive reserve with vents.
So again? Skydive reserve or BASE?

It will probably be used for acrobatics, paraglider rollovers/dbags from hot air balloons etc, where the likelihood of something going wrong is much higher, and you wouldn't want to ride a round, and just for fun of course ;) If everything goes right and I'm coming into a nice grassy field from 500 I highly doubt I'd land the paraglider :P So for the occasions when I use it I will swap my base canopy over from my base rig to the container and back afterwards. Not sure on legality as far as USHPA goes, as far as use in comps or something like that? The inspiration comes from this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqYKBOa6VZY

apparently its sort of for sale, but insanely expensive as you need to buy a canopy with it etc. And id rather have a go at it myself :S

The Rodriguez Brothers have put a lot of time and energy into designing this and if I remember correctly, there were a lot of issues to work out, some of which were deadly if not corrected. This might be one of those times when re-inventing the wheel could be a bad idea. I know their harness had a lot of design changes from their original acro harnesses to incorporate a cut away system and a 3rd set of risers, all of which needed to work in the super high Gs that acro can develop AND not interfere with the deployment of a second reserve.

That being said, if I were going to do it, I would adopt other people's designes that we know work. I would use a free-bag that is the size of the canopy that you are planning to use. I would also see if I could buy the MARD system that Sup-Air is using.

Went with rubber bands, and heres what I arrived at.

Went with a tail pocket style line stow pouch since its much easier to pack, and didn't make it a molar bag for the same reason. Only the locking stows are done in the pic though.
-CAKE

Are you using tailgate?
The video you liked to earlier does not use tailgate (as far as I can see), and they get openings I would not like to have.
I paused the video at one point and it looked like it had a tail first inflation and the nose endcells almost touching eachoter, the nose seemd to collapse.
And it also seems they use the guidrings for the controllines.

In my opinion a very odd setup that will most likely end up with a lineover one day.

Thanks! yeah the type 4 looks a little odd, but since its not like a sky rig where a wide bridle would help a horseshoe i went with it cuz it was cleaner, and it would be really odd to have pins sewn to a 2" wide bridle. Its going to likely be a 2pin container with flex pins since they're a little more secure for this application.

And as far as the video not sure what they were doing. Depends what clip you look at, some have nice openings, some have crap openings, some have lines through the rings, others don't. I'll definitely be using a tailgate on mine, and my risers are built with the line release loop.
-CAKE

Pic 1, you can see a slight tail first inflation. Nose on the right, tail on the left.

Pic 2, Again nose on left. This is the kind of opening I would want. This is what it would look like with a tailgate for those of you that don't know that.

Pic 3, Nose is up, tail is down. The nose seems to have collapsed completly and folded under the canopy. Really shitty.

Pic 4, Belive it or not, but nose is up, tail is down.
Here the endcells almost hit eachother at the very top of the picture. And the tail of the canopy seems airfilled/pressurized.

I could not see on any of the clips that he had used a line release mod. And it looks like standard toggles, and not even WLO toggles.
I like the concept, but it lacks all the details that would make me want to buy it.