KNewman

Thanks Jumper03!!!

Well, Stevo gets another red asterisk in his rigger book!! I had a goofy-ass line over on Sunday that gave me a ride better than an e-ticket at Disney World. I pulled at 3500, chute (190 Z-PO) opened and started to spin to the right. I thought I had a brake fire so I pulled both toggles, (may have been wrong answer as this made the mess spin worse). Looked at canopy, right hand side was bowtied at the second cell, looked at alti, had plenty so I tried to clear by pulling on the risers. Needless to say it didn't clear, so I looked right, grabbed right..looked left..grabbed left (not so easy when you are spinning to the ground). Peel pull right..Peel pull left, and poof, there it was. The reserve was out and flying so fast I had an upclose and personal taste of my left knee (good thing I had a full face on:P) The spot was excellent as the main landed on the tuffet and the free bag landed by manifest. The reserve flew great (180 Strong Stellar). The only thing that sucked about this whole incident was after dumb-ass me pulled handles, dumb-ass me watched as they sailed away as I dropped them:S. So the learning point here kids is if you are going to pull your handles, HOLD ON TO THEM:)) Anyway, thanks Steve for the save, and I hope you enjoy the pulls off of the bottle!!!!! Cheerio!!!!!

Blue Skies and Stand-up Landings!!!!!!

Hey Kevin,

Congrats on taking care of business. The stellar is a great reserve and it really flies nice. When I have needed mine it has made for a nice easy landing as well.

Remember this is America and nothing is your fault. This includes losing handles. :)
Anyway glad you are OK.

Think of how stupid the average person is and realize that statistically half of them are stupider than that.

The only thing that sucked about this whole incident was after dumb-ass me pulled handles, dumb-ass me watched as they sailed away as I dropped them:S. So the learning point here kids is if you are going to pull your handles, HOLD ON TO THEM:))

I tell my students that the best way to know if they pulled the handles completely is by throwing them away. And it's MY handles they're losing when they do this! :D Taking the sh*t is worth it. Nice job doing your part to help Steve save your ass. ;)

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

I don't think I'd ever give anyone shit for losing a handle. If anything, I would prefer people who use a "two hands on each handle" method to throw the cutaway at least.

If I were over the right field, I think I'd probably throw the handles away even if I had ample altitude to tuck them inside my jumpsuit. My hands will be full just landing a reserve for the first time. :$
Looking for newbie rig, all components...

I don't think I'd ever give anyone shit for losing a handle. If anything, I would prefer people who use a "two hands on each handle" method to throw the cutaway at least.

Agreed. We teach as the FJC to throw the handles, because that way it's pretty well ensured that the cables are cleared and the last thing we want is a new jumper juggling cables and trying to fly a reserve plus being a bit flustered from the whole situation.

Of course, when I had mine (jump number 538... which is why I leave my jump number at that on my profile :) I just held the cables with my teeth once the reserve opened.

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda