greenemachine

scuba and sky

flying before diving is fine.

flying after diving is an issue. general rule of thumb is if you've done 1 dive (or 2 very shallow dives) 12 hour window is safe then fly. If you're doing deeper dives and pushing the tables a little more 24 hours before flying.

IN a nutshell after a dive there is still nitrogen in solution in your blood from the dive that hasn't gotten a chance to off gas (regardless of your safety stop, etc). Residual nitrogen that is still dissolved in your body at sea level could come out of solution form and into bubbles upon the airplane's climb/pressure changes. The more nitrogen in your body, the more likely this would happen. This makes decompression sickness more likely and a lot more probable. That hyperbaric chamber is a long ways away from that passenger flight!

http://www.scuba-doc.com/flyafdv.html

http://www.discoveringhawaii.com/SF_Medicine/SCUBADiving/ScubaDivingFlying.html

http://www.scubadiving.com/training/medicine/flying/

hope this helps!

__

Follow your dive tables! After diving wether it is a shallow dive or deep it is reccomended you do NOT fly or even drive/travel through higher altitudes for 24 hours. always over estimate if your not good with your tables....it's better to not get to jump for a few extra hours than to never jump or scuba again because your a vegtable :S I tend to scuba dive everyday mon to thursday then take friday off so i can jump on the weekend if i want. never dip below 24 hours though, no matter what....but you can jump then go scuba dive....done that before.

Steve
Therapy is expensive, popping bubble wrap is cheap.

Dive tables are becoming obsolete with dive computers these days. Not that you can't use tables, but computers make such a drastic difference in bottom time, as well as more accurate calculation of no-fly time and total decompression time, it's really worth the extra money to get one if you don't have one.

As far as training, do it near home, not at a dive resort overseas - you will get better training, typically, and I would suspect it's safer. All the major training methods are good. I cross-trained in SSI and PADI, and I like SSI better.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

I know I am a bit slow to type, so many answer have been given while I wrote this one, but since it is there, I might as well send it ;)

There is absolutelly no issue in flying before going scuba ... the opposite is not true :

My own understanding of it :
It is all a story about partial pressure (Pp) of Nitrogen (N2) in your body (how much your body has absorbed N2)... When you go down, the Pp N2 in your body increase proportionally to the difference of pressure (depth). When going back to the surface, dive computer and dive table assume that you are going to stay at 1 atm till all extra nitrogen accumulated into your body during the dive get out. They give you information on how not to reach the critical point when N2 will actually form bubble into your blood (DCS) or your joints (Bends). When flying, you increase the difference in Pp of N2 (body vs ambient) that might make you reach that critical point.

It works that way because you can compress as much N2 into your body as you want (fast) but cannot decompress it as fast as you might want ...

Contrary to many believes, long repetitive shallow dives are way more dangerous than quick deep dive ...

And it is not because your computer is telling you that you can fly that you can go skydiving : airliners are pressurised aircraft (~7000ft) ... so follow the 24h no jump rule ... this means Jumping on Saturdays and scuba on Sundays :)
Hope that I summarise the situation in an intelligible way ...

Anyway, if you want more info, do a search on this forum or on the web on (scuba flying bends dcs) and you will get a lot of good article ...
see post above

If your question is just how to start into diving, my advise: get basic from PADI (recognised all over the world) then, if then you want to do occasional diving, go with dive centers. if you want to dive every week-end and get advance trainning, join a club.

Sorry for the long post ... just that I can't wait for next week-end : Boogies Saturday & Sunday then scuba and big beach party on Monday B|

Enjoy the 3D freedom,
KerMor

You can't determine the length of your life
- but you can control its height and depth.

KerMor wrote
Contrary to many believes, long repetitive shallow dives are way more dangerous than quick deep dive

Hm well, this would depend on how you define 'dangerous', no? In a short, deep dive you'll risk reaching the M-value of the fast loading compartments at high PP, which is the spinal chord etc. Bubble formation here is not a good thing at all as type II DCS is harder to treat than type I. Type II DCS lead to all kinds of neurological problems, bubbles in heart/lungs; type I is typically pain, fatigue and possible nitrogen bubbles in heart/lungs (very roughly speaking)

On shallower long, repetitive dives, the PP is lower but the time spent at pressure greater - which would mean that you risk loading the slow compartments - joints, bones and so on. The slow compartments ongas and offgas at a slower rate, so while time on the surface might be enough to partially clear the fast compartments, it might not be good enough for the slow ones. In this respect it is more dangerous.

On the other hand, I'd rather take a hit from type I than type II. Overstaying two minutes at 140 feet is a lot more dangerous than overstaying 2 minutes at 50. There's just a smaller margin of error on deep dives with regards to DCS.

This is the explanation I got from a technical diver anyhow.

Santa Von GrossenArsch
I only come in one flavour
ohwaitthatcanbemisunderst