imfromwales

press-stud for hook knife

I'm wanting to mount my hook knife on my legstraps and I need to try to try and find a press-stud sk my rigger can attatch my knife to.

I've asked my rigger to try and get one but she said they are hard to come by and can get any.

Can someone please point me in the right direction for one :)

I've seen rigging shops that have some continuity from way back have snaps and the tools to set them. Snaps were much more common on 1960s gear!

Fabric & sewing shops often have cheap snap kits. Not exactly milspec quality, but they contain all the parts needed, including tiny anvils & dies with which to hammer the various parts of the snaps together.

Paragear (where else?)

http://www.paragear.com/templates/base_template.asp?group=29#S7845

The link goes to a "Press the Dot" snap, the one right above it is an ordinary one.

I hope you mean "attach it to the leg padding", not the actual leg strap.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

http://www.chandlerycompare.com/products.php?categoryId=1310&productId=2785

google is your friend.;)

And I guess press-stud is British for snap?:)

Now that I've answered your question...

But why a leg strap? It's not the handiest location and most hook knives that are worth having are too long to set well along a leg strap. And across a leg strap creates a snag point.

I'm not sure I remember ever seeing a hook knife on a leg strap. I've seen them on jumpsuit legs, arms, rig mud flaps, chest straps, main lift webs. I probably have seen one of the old little plastic z knifes on a leg strap but those won't cut a pull up cord.

My favorite location? Middle of chest strap on your sternum. (mine's on the back of my chest mount altimeter pillow.) Your sternum never bends so a good place for a longer knive. Grip down makes it easily accessable and in the middle it's accessable to either hand. (what if it's your knife side hand that's tangled up in your lines?)

Oh well, the snaps are above.:)
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Why would you want something sharp on your leg-strap??

~ you can't SEE it well, if you have a hard landing it could damage the gear or ever break through the pouch and go into you...which is why I personally don't like them on the chest strap either, same reason you remove pens from your pocket during a plane crash. Think about where that stuff can/will go if things go unexpectedly sideways.

A swooper I know had a long carbon one mounted sideways on his chest strap, when loosening the strap after opening ...the knife could rotate to the point it would go into his heart like a dagger.B| I showed him that and he change the position before the next jump.

I always carry two, one on a jumpsuit leg and another in the mudflap. Both are accessible with either hand and if during stress ya lose one you have another.

Also as Terry said the little plastic ones are junk, a hook knife is an important TOOL that may save your life...get a good one and maintain it, keep it clean and sharp. Check it every 20 jumps or so to insure it's in good condition.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Just out of curiosity, his oldiness...

Have ya ever had to use the damn things? Details?

Twice, but not in this century youngster...student in tow (1978) and line over on a reserve (1986).

Gotcha! Thanks wise master.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Just out of curiosity, his oldiness...

Have ya ever had to use the damn things? Details?

Twice, but not in this century youngster...student in tow (1978) and line over on a reserve (1986).

Gotcha! Thanks wise master.

No problem Grasshopper.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~