sinker

time once again for.. name-that-plane!

hi dave... hope sikorsky is treating you well... any chance of a tour next time I'm in Bridgeport, like 2nd or 3rd week in November?

I don't think I could arrange that. We have the Comanche and S-92 production lines, and technically I'm not even allowed in the S-92 area and I don't think anyone gets tours of the Comanche area (unless you're the governor or a VIP).

Apparently the main plant used to do tours commonly until someone lost a piece of safety glasses. They had to shut down the whole blackhawk assembly line and find it, since it coulda caused FOD. At least that's the story I heard.

And yeah, a top mounted engine in that location could have problems at high angles of attack. Usually they'd be mounted out ahead of the wing, just like normal under wing engines are.

I don't know the name of that plane Amazon posted but the whole idea of it was to use the engines to accelerate air over the top surface of the wing. Because of the semi-circular shape of the wing around the engine, more air gets accelerated than just the air passing through the engine, so even more lift gets created.

Dave

Thats a modified CL-44. I helped change the #2 eng on that plane a few years ago in Smyrna TN. It was originally modified to transport engines for the L1011 program. The entire tail swings open for loading and unloading. Kind of crappy design as Im told they have alot of problems with play in the rudder and elevator controls. I think its in the U.K. now.

Custer Channel Wing.
The whole idea was increase lift - and STOL characteristics - by blowing high speed air over the top of the wing.
Never made it into production.
Mind you a couple of Russian transports (Antonov 72 ?) did make it into production with jet engines mounted on top of the wings. One of them hauled jumpers at an Espace Boogie in France a few years ago.

Try this one y'all... what is it? Who made it?

It's a Focke Wulf. They are designed to work off unpaved and rough strips as well as normal runways. The engines are mounted above the wings to reduce particulate and foreign object damage on take off. I know a pilot who has folwn one, and says it flies like it looks, a bit of a pig.

If you go to the Hercules Boogie in Sweden, there a local airline that flies them out of Lidkoping.

[, since it coulda caused FOD.

Are they really That concerned with FOD? Impressive.

I had a buddy that worked for Gulfstream. He said those things are full of clicos and all kinds of crap. They routinely flow in epoxy to keep it from rattleing around. If he were rich, he wouldn't buy a Gulfstream. Says they run that like a bunch of good ol boys from Georgia. Oh, they are.

----------------------------
bzzzz

Ok so I wanna play.. while looking for the plane you posted I came across this.. overwing underwing.. this one adds a different ripple.

I really need to spend more time away from the computer...I thought you said "adds a different nipple". I'd say I"m losing it, but I"m not sure what's left to lose.
Kevin - Sonic Beef #5 - OrFun #28
"I never take myself too seriously, 'cuz everybody know fat birds don't fly." - FLC
Online communities: proof that people never mature much past high school.

Ding ding ding.. Riggerrob rocks.. the Custer Channel Wing...

http://www.custerchannelwing.com/

All you ever wanted to know about a strange airplane..CCW-1 is now hanging in the Smithsonian Garber facility.

In 1951, he co-operated with the Baumann Aircraft Company, and modified one of their twin pusher aircraft to a Custer configuration. This was the CCW-5, and had two 225 HP engines, and weighed en excess of 4300 pounds. Walker Davidson made the first flight of the CCW-5 in July of 1953. As usual, the aircraft was highly successful. Demonstrations repeatedly showed hair raising maximum performance takeoffs, nose high climbs at speeds so low it seemed obvious that the Custer would fall out of the sky. Three second takeoffs, with nose high steep turns of 45 to 60 degrees bank, at speeds below 30MPH gave the CCW-5 the ability to take off and do a 180 before most planes could lift off. Video of these flights still confound experienced pilots. Although I have personally logged 20,000+ hours, in all nature of aircraft, I was absolutely stunned the first time I saw the videos of the Custer doing a 150 foot takeoff, roll into a steep bank at speeds that would have insured a stall - spin - crash,in any other plane, and leave town going the other way, while staying within what appeared to be about a 250' square area. Slow flight was a specialty, and the CCW-5 flew at a measured 22 MPH and on August 27, 1954 hovered against an 11 MPH wind, although it was not modified to use maximum lift potential. Cruise speed remained a normal 170 mph.

Jeanne

All you ever wanted to know about a strange airplane..CCW-1 is now hanging in the Smithsonian Garber facility.

I lived in the DC area for 5 years and never got over there. When I was going to be leaving the area soon, I decided it was time to go, and found out it had closed down the week before to move the planes to the new museum at Dulles. Oh well.

Dave