drewcarp

Another Mirage Upsizing Thread

I think I want to upsize (I know, I know, sorry, another upsizing thread) and was wondering what I can fit in my Mirage G4 M6. Currently I have a Pilot 210 (not zpx). Love the Pilot but I think its a bit fast for me at this point. Will a Pilot 230 ZPX fit in an M6, anybody doing that? I'm looking for any options that are bigger and slower that will fit in my M6. Thanks for all your responses.

DC

I believe the ZPX packs 1 size smaller so it should fit

I have a g4 m4 and I asked if I could get a 190 Pilot zpx and they said it will fit.

(Optimal for m4 is 170) (Optimal for m6 is 210)

They did tell me a Sabre 2 190 would not fit in mine but it fit just fine.

I believe (but correct me if I'm wrong) you could always get a 7 cell 220 since 7 cells have a smaller pack volume

one extra thing to consider when upsizing a main in a G4 is the impact it will have on the force neccessary to extract your reserve in a total malfunction scenario. If you look at the profile of a G4, the reserve tray does not have a straight floor base (the part with the AAD pouch) but is raked back at about 45 degrees, with the longest part being the backpad. The Main deployment bag is shaped to accommodate this and thus when the main is packed and closed it presses down on the reserve contributing to the force required to extract the reserve from the tray. I am pretty sure that this equation is considered when MIRAGE size a rig, but if you stuff a large main in there that exerts beyond optimal pressure on the reserve, it "could" (IMHO) create the need for excessive forces being needed to extract the reserve in a less than ideal deployment situation (think tumbling through AAD firing altitude and possibly on your back). All I'm saying is "Be Careful" just 'cause you can get it in there and jam it closed - it doesn't necessarily mean it's a good thing.