dropdeded

Virus Question

Everytime I turn on my computer, I get "a virus has been detected and cleaned" Then it tells me it was deleted. If its deleted, why is it there everytime I turn this thing on? Its "Downloader-EP Virus" in the windows media player files (I think). Should I delete the video's in there? If that will get rid of it, I can just do that and be done with it.

Thanks

dropdeded
------------------------------------------
The Dude Abides.
-

Ok...there are 2 kinds of viruses: RESIDENT viruses and MEMORY viruses, the second loads at boot time or when something triggers it, if you know which files has it...DELETE THE FILE, the virus scanner is just picking up the virus when it's loaded in memory, I'd also suggest trying another virus scanner, like this one, it might help.

looks like just deleting the executable file should do it...won't do any harm, at least.

From a few virus related websites (McAfee, Norton, etc):

This Trojan horse has been distributed on some sex-related usenet newsgroups as Quickflick.mpg.exe. The filename may fool some people into believing it is a legitimate .MPG movie file.

When the Trojan horse is run it attempts to download and silently run another program from a website. The program it attempts to download is believed to be a copy of Troj/Subseven a backdoor Trojan horse, but at the present time it is no longer available on the website.

Upon execution this trojan tries to download a trojan (trojan.exe) from a web site and attempts to execute it. At the time of this description the file trojan.exe, which purpose is currently unknown, is unavailable from the above website.

DownLoader is known to have been distributed from this website using an Internet Explorer vulnerability. A vulnerable browser would download and run the trojan just by visiting the web site.

Note: Spam messages have been observed that try to trick the user to visit the above website. At the time of writing the homepage shows a white empty page with a "This site is temporary unavailable" message, but actually opens 5 more browser windows, each containing a different exploit for different Internet Explorer vulnerabilities. One of these exploits tries to upload and run the Downloader on the visiting system.