goose491

Learning about websites

Hello all,

I'm teaching myself to build webpages and having fun at doing it.

Can anyone tell me exactly what "The web site you are trying to access has exceeded its allocated data transfer" means?

I think I have an idea, my site is stored at Geocities for free and they only allow it to be viewed so much? It mentioned that I've "exceeded it's allocated data transfer for a month"... but that "Access to the site will be restored within an hour."

Does that make sense to anyone?

My Karma ran over my Dogma!!!

ok. that's an easy one.

when you sign up for free webspace, you are given a certain amount of allowed data transfer. sites that are more graphics intensive use more data transfer space.

If I have an image that is 46kb, every single time anyone views that image on the web, it uses 46kb of data.

Free sites, to limit the amount of drain on the servers of the host, limit the amount of data transfer so they can keep their costs down. If a site has exceeded the allowed amount, you see that message until it times out and access is restored.

Right on, thanks you guys.

I figured it was a bandwidth issue being that it's a free site and I have a bunch of large picture files on it.

Thing is it mentions a monthly limit but now the site is up again. Does it just sorta just take a 'time out' and then let you back in? And then is your data transfer set back to zero against your limit?

I started reading about how to increase it at a cost but I wouln't do that until I really know what I'm doing anyway.

Dude, drop those free site hosts like a bad habit and do it now!

Talk to your ISP, most have free webspace available for subscribers. It looks better, there won't be a fuckload of popups and you'll be able to do more with it.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

another thing about hosting services. If you do decide to eventually find a pay-for-hosting service out there, I would make a blanket recommendation to stay away from places that offer some sort of free hosting, and then allow you to "upgrade" away from ads, bandwidth restrictions, etc. Doing so is asking for headaches.

Oh, and the sooner you start using FTP to get files to your webspace the happier you will be. You mentioned geocities, and if I recall they have a web-interface to upload files. Such interfaces are what we like to call "unwholesome"

Oh, and the sooner you start using FTP to get files to your webspace the happier you will be. You mentioned geocities, and if I recall they have a web-interface to upload files. Such interfaces are what we like to call "unwholesome"

What's FTP stand for?

Yeah, it is a web-interface. Why is that such a bad thing? (I mean appart from having to browse for, chose and, upload each and every file seperately... actually, that in itself is pain in the butt enough.)

I pay for hosting with Earthlink. They've been WONDERFUL.

I know they offer free sites to their dialup subscribers, so you may want to check into that.

alright, alright, but that's not really -free- it just comes with your internet connection service. I think most ISPs provide their users with 5-20megs of webspace. These are usually bandwidth limited around 1GB/mo or so.

I was referring to pure hosting companies.

There are an alarming number of hosting companies out there that have free services that let you upgrade away from ads, but will give you crap if you want...
-subdomains
-more than a couple e-mail addresses
-scripting in PERL, PHP, ASP, etc
-use of .htaccess
-A MySQL database
-shell access
-FTP access

All things that I would really consider to be basics if they are going to take your money.