Faber

Calculator x check

you want:

88 squared - 47 squared = ?squared. that is

5535 = x squared
x = 74.39758

If you were looking for the length of the 3rd side of a right angle triangle you want 99.76423 figure. 3x would then be 299.2926966

If you really did mean the subtraction as you wrote, x = 74.39758 - multiplied by 3 you compute 223.1927418.

Hope that helps. If you can describe the problem you wish to solve you may also get more input

Dave

Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friend (Lennon/McCartney)

If you were looking for the length of the 3rd side of a right angle triangle you want 99.76423 figure. 3x would then be 299.2926966

Yes, just to be certain of what he is trying to do.

The hypotenuse is equal to the square root of the sum of the squares of the other two sides. The hypotenuse being the side not connected to the right angle in the triangle.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Yeah...if i could turn back the clock, i may have paid a little more attention at school.

Fortunately i had to re-learn quite a bit at night-school 15 years later.

Yep, that guy had a lot more time on his hands than me. B|

-- Hope you don't die. --

I'm fucking winning

thanks all
i just went down from a climb up in this object.i messured it be my alti watch,which said 220ft(difference at 3ft,which is the range the watch is alowed to miscalculate;))
No i didnt wear a rig,as its windy and its raining as hell,just had to have a look if i had a new object... and i has when i get hardcore:D:ph34r:,its over my experience/comforft level as it is now.

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

Stefan,

Now you have me REAL curious, as an aspiring BASE jumper.

You calculated 220 ft high by an alti watch. Were you then attempting to determine an aproximate landing area?

If you have a 220 ft height and a 2:1 glide ratio, you would glide 440 horizontal groundl ft. 3:1 would give you 660 ft, etc.

Draw a right angle triangle. Height (h) is as you measure. Pace out the nearest obstructin from the base (b). If it is within the glide path of your canopy you could fly that at full glide without (extra) danger. It SHOULD be as simple as that.

Calculating the c^2 (flight path) could give you flight time and distance(if you know your canopy speed). or, if you have an obstacle in the way you could draw its relative position form the baseand see if you will cler it. In order to do THAt, though, you also need to calculate it's height.

If you care to take this to PM's I'm interested. If this post gives further insight, please let me (us) know. Flight path and glide angle is one thing as a 7 cell pilot I take to heart - I often have to fly straight home with the spots 9 cell pilots calculate [:/] Methinks BASE is an extreme form of spotting your LZ ... yes?

Dave

Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friend (Lennon/McCartney)

I think it is much more simple than that, he was using a laser rangefinder to get the A & C,
and used his watch to check the maths on the height (after he had worked out the B), which was just 3 feet (which ain't bad).

I got to get myself one of those. :)

-- Hope you don't die. --

I'm fucking winning

Comfort zones and jumping? Like someone says in Beyond Extreme....."No eyeballing 300 feet."
and then as Dwain said, "300 foot, that's like crap."
So, it all depends on your comfort zone. Would you be happy seeing a rock fall from 4-5 seconds, or would you want your laser to say that it is 224.56243673 feet?
And does that last .56243672 feet really mean make or break the legs?

Keep it cool, and keep it within YOUR comfort zone. And allow for error, and PC snivel. What about that ONE SINGLE time that damn PC snivels an extra 1/4 second? Is there margin of error, or are you opening just above ground (so to speak)?
This info may not help, but just look at that pretty tower outside your window. That is still the right height, unless it shrank, right?
Peace, and happy flickings Faber,

Thomas

Hi Dave
ill answer as good i can here,feel free to pm me if you need more.

First of all,by my 69BASE jumps im still a newbie so take it by a grain of salt;)

You calculated 220 ft high by an alti watch. Were you then attempting to determine an aproximate landing area?

First of all i lasered it to see if there were alti to jump this thing(lasers are more precise than a alti watch,and im sure the 3ft were the watch fault;)),my next concern as i saw the landing area before i even lasered this,would be the exit.

It looked nasty from the ground,and i really dont want to climb up there whith a rig on,just to find out theres no way to jump the sh#t....So as the dark went in i climed it(turning my altiwatch on to trible chek alti),at the top you have a better weiv of landing area,and i had a look at the nasty exit placeB|.

If you have a 220 ft height and a 2:1 glide ratio, you would glide 440 horizontal groundl ft. 3:1 would give you 660 ft, etc.

Yes IF you were under canopy at that time;)but as i will jump from that alti(freefall)i will be closer to the ground and not fly that far:P

Methinks BASE is an extreme form of spotting your LZ ... yes?

if you dont have a LZ you can´t reach then you dont have a object,that simple,its the second thing i look at after i tjecked the high.

You could have a object thats 1000ft,which takes a slider off hop n pop to reach the LZ...

hope it helped:)

Stay safe
Stefan Faber