12bhi

add in children

My 6 year old son pretty much has all the symptons for attenetion deficit disorder.I was just
wondering if any other parents here have a child
diagnosed with or suspected of having ADD,and if
you know of any natural altenatives to ritalin and
all the other crap prescribed for this condition.There
is no way in hell that I would allow my child to take
any such drugs that seem to be the norm for our
children these days. So if anyone has had any
positive experiences with any alternatives I would
greatly appreciate the insight...
Thanx J

My Neph. Cody has AdD... he's 6 yrs and absolutly adorable!
I know his diet is very important. The Dr. should give you an individual assesment. Its like an allergy test. Cody can't have any sugar or starches. I'll check with his mom and get back to you.

The fun part is keeping up with them!

The mighty ocean has but one taste, the taste of salt. Even so, the true way has but one savor, the savor of freedom.

http://add.miningco.com/library/weekly/aa051401a.htm

http://www.heall.com/holistic_psychology/adhd.html

http://add.miningco.com/library/weekly/aa012702a.htm

http://add.miningco.com/library/topics/blfaqdiagnisis.htm

As a former educator and someone who is specializing in special education in my graduate program, I have to ask:

1. are you SURE you're not mistaking the normal energy and distractiveness of the average six year old boy for ADD? an overwhelming percentage of those diagnosed ADD are male, and most researchers agree that the majority of these children don't actually have ADD. At age 6, boys and girls have very different abilities to pay attention and focus.

2. can he focus on "fun" things like video games, television programs, or books? If so, perhaps it isn't ADD, but boredom.

something I suggested for several of my students with attention and focusing problems was to take martial arts classes. For someone with mild attention problems, doing something that requires that kind of focus is often extremely helpful. Four out of five of my students who tried it had positive results.

I wish it was.His teachers are having a real difficult
time with him,and we are sharing the same problems
at home.Its not behavior related or hyperactivity,he
just cant focus and he's becoming really frustrated.
We already had to hold him back a year in school,
and it just seems to be getting worse.

something I suggested for several of my students with attention and focusing problems was to take martial arts classes. For someone with mild attention problems, doing something that requires that kind of focus is often extremely helpful. Four out of five of my students who tried it had positive results.

Absolutely. Martial arts also teach self-discipline, which is something that those with ADD have a problem with.

If you haven't already, establish a solid daily routine for him, and ease into any changes to that routine. People with ADD do best when they know what to expect.

I have ADD but wasn't diagnosed until I was in my late 20's. I found Ritalin to be quite helpful; it allowed me to focus on the "boring" stuff when I needed to but be my "normal" ADD self when I didn't need to. I'd have a problem with putting a 6 year old on it though.

I can highly recommend the books Driven to Distraction and ADD: A different perspective (don't have them handy or remember the author's names... sorry...)

Most importantly, enjoy his unique personality. Personally I think people with ADD are more interesting, more fun to be around, smarter, more caring and often more accomplished than people who don't have ADD.

As others have mentioned - are you absolutely sure it's ADD ? I ask because my nephew was a REAL horror at that age and for a few years before and after that as well. He was sort of like a SEVERE case of ADD and an equally severe case of Tourettes. In short a right little horror - the only person I know of to be expelled from a child care centre.

The solution. Cutting down on tomatos (and other nightshade family veges) and red meat made some difference but the REAL differences were made when they got to excluding artificial food colouring and over sweetened stuff (breakfast foods like NutriGrain and CocoaPops and WheatBix).

These days he's a quite normal 17 year old - well as normal as a 17 year old male can be anyway...:)
Hopefully the issues that you're having are as easily resolved.

Ooroo
Mark F...

That does sound like ADD. (not ADHD... they're two related, but different disorders). He doesn't have a behavior problem, he has a focusing problem.

Check with a couple of different doctors to be sure, plus a child psychologist to make sure there isn't any underlying issue (I'm not saying this is the case with your child, but, in describing the ADD symptoms, you've also described the way some children behave if abused or molested...if your child is having trouble focusing and is angry and withdrawn, you have to rule this out. Also, if a child is having seizures, as with epilepsy or other seizure disorders, they can seem to just "zone out" for a few minutes, stare off into space, and look like they're not paying attention. A medical exam and tests can rule this out.). If all three concur that ADD is the appropriate diagnosis, then decide on a course of treatment.

Don't rule out drugs, but don't make them your first choice, either. I've seen kids have great success with natural things like biofeedback, and I've seen ritalin and other ADD drugs really help kids too. If he TRULY is ADD, the drugs can be a godsend. Some of my students took their ritalin during the school year, and then went off it over the summer when they didn't need to focus as much. Work with your doctor to find the best course of treatment.

ALSO: After you get a diagnosis, work with his school to get an IEP. An IEP is an Individualized Education Plan. It will make sure the school gives him appropriate services, such as more time on tests, copies of the teacher's notes in case he misses something in class, and a seat in the front of the class. There are a lot more things that can be done, those are just a few.