GARYC24

Sponsoring a Child

I used to sponsor a child years ago..i(I fizzled out).
I get invited to a church for a concert "the Potters Field" a couple with a dynamic message.
And I have decided to sponsor another child.
I used to be with Compassion International.
I had a chance to pick one last night from "World Vision"..but I decided to go back to Compassion International.
Anyone else ever considered it or been involved or want more info?
PM would be more personal for replies.
Thanks,
Gary Calhoun

Good for you. I sponsor a child through CCF. I don't agree with their politics (religion), but I do admire their work. It is a really neat thing to write letters and I also get medical reports, report cards from school and additional letters from her family members. Next year when I have some more money, I will take on another child in the US.

I used to work for World Vision. . .I feel this organization is very up and up. . .Sponsoring is one of the best ways these organizations raise money to help these communities. . .the best thing about sponsoring is that almost every penny you spend goes directly to that child's needs or to help in that community, which will directly impact that child - like building schools, purchasing textbooks, pens, pencils, etc. . .

It is a great way to help!
FGF #6
Darcy

I've sponsored several children through World Vision, and my family also helps to run a non-profit organization for the Children's hospital in Lima, Peru. It is wonderful work. Thank you, Gary, for helping to remind me and others to think about truly helping those who are less fortunate than ourselves. It is wonderful that you have decided to sponsor another child, especially at this time of the year. I am so impressed by your loving, compassionate act. May God bless you, Gary. :)

I don't sponser children directly, because I find that most of the money usually goes towards running the organization rather than to the child. However, I do donate regularly to St. Jude's Children's Research Hospital in Nashville, TN. Its a children's cancer hospital that does TONS of research on cancer, and doesn't charge the kids there anything at all for treatment. They'll bill the insurance company, but whatever insurance doesn't cover, the hospital picks up the tab.

I figure that its not only an investment to help the kids there now, but the research they do could help save my own kids lives one day, should I have them.

http://www.stjude.org/

Thank you for saying thank You.
And thanks for all who have replied.
I checked out "CCF" website.., JohnnyD.
And the link from Nightinggale.
Yeah, tracing the money is always the first thing one thinks about with these places. Also, the final
excuse/decision not to give as well, in most cases.
It is very hard to decide which place, where there alot of places 1(one) person can donate $ to.
I have thought ..why should I give to some kid in a foreign country when there's kids in my own county that needs help. Heck i got 4 nieces haven't seen in over 6 yrs that could use it.
But, I think that the kids I'm talking about, reading about, in these other countries need it more!
$26 could do alot just a 1 time donation.
I think I will keep this a long term thing!
I wonder what would happened if everyone gave something to the needy kids all at the same time?