Darius11

Questions for all the Dads

Unless you want kids don't have them. Even if you want them they are a lot of work. Part of me says that if I had it to do all over again I wouldn't do it but part says OK.

"Truth is tough. It will not break, like a bubble, at a touch; nay, you may kick it about all day like a football, and it will be round and full at evening."
-- Oliver Wendell Holmes

Never wanted kids -

Growing up in a tough environment, my brothers and I were sent the clear message that kids were a pain in the a** by parents who seemed to clearly regret the fact that they had kids - even on the level of the fact that kids inhibited what they wanted to do, where they wanted to go, etc... (babysitters, etc) but they were also very abusive.

When you grow up like this, you just KNOW in your heart that kids are bad, will be a pain in the butt, and will keep you from living the life that you might be able to live.

The result: Met a woman who the thought of NOT having kids was not an option - and loved her very much. Separated for two weeks to think it over, and decided that if I really Love her, I would not want to deny her of children - so with great fear of what kind of father I would turn out to be based on my own past, we got married and had two children.

If I died today, there is nothing, I mean nothing that I would take greater satisfaction, feelings of accomplishment, and love from this life like my children - And although they are older now, they still continue to be the greatest "accomplishment" and blessing that I could have ever received.

This may, or may not work for you that way. It depends on your level of committment. But I think it is very important to deeply consider why you DON'T want to have children. If it is something that you inherited from someone else, you may be missing out on something that will be very meaningful to you. At least, that is the way it turned out for me. But it was also evidence that I could be a good father, not be like my parents, and raise children that truly loved and respected me. And don't think one can put a price on that...

"The helicopter approaches closer than any other to fulfillment
of mankind's ancient dreams of a magic carpet" - Igor Sikorsky

If I died today, there is nothing, I mean nothing that I would take greater satisfaction, feelings of accomplishment, and love from this life like my children - And although they are older now, they still continue to be the greatest "accomplishment" and blessing that I could have ever received.

sometimes... the Love you are denied as a child comes out of you in love for your own. I think Im trying to say... you turned it around. Instead of being the kind of parent you had.. and feared you would be, you became just the opposite. :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
earthbound misfit