Tinkerbelle

computer virus from Forum?

Say, my computer has OCD too, but no DOS, that God! (software joke)
But I am worried 'cause the other day I clicked on an angry man's profile to see who it was, and instead of it coming up, some purple window flashed open for a sec and downloaded yellow leaflets. I clicked on it again, to be sure, and it happened again. What in the World was that? Soon after I got a security breach warning in my email, but it had an atchment I was afraid to open, so I didn't know if it was real or not, and the included graphics were just "x"d out.
Hope that wasn't a bad guy spreading germs! Can that happen just by clicking on a person's username? :S

I would immediately spray your computer with alcohol, and then never touch it again without gloved hands.

LOl, just kidding, Tink.

Run some diagnostic software and see which virus/worm you have. Should be entertaining. And I don't think you got it from a profile check here. If so, it'd be happening to lots and lots of people.

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

Have you ever heard of that purple window yellow files thing before? Why did it happen twice when I clicked the same dude, but not on anyone else's profile? I've never seen anything like it before in color, and it just flashed on the screen
And for all you scinics out there, no it had nothing to do with the pills I was taking at the time, those just make everything blue! :S

Yeah, what DD said.

I already know everyman, and I've met burning man, so where's angry man? :D

Sesriously, I have my AVS up to date, but I'm guess it's a spyware, semi-virus issue. Yes, I regard spyware as a virus.
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

Already have one that checks computer when I turn it on. Is there a site to go to to download for free some software that is up to date on all the germs out there? :o

Anyway, since no-one else bothered to answer your question, I will.

Unless you are trolling (again), you have spyware on your computer.

Click here to download. Install it, update it, run it. Should fix it.
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

You know I was the very first jumper to ever skydive into the burning man, landed right by the man in the middle. Was with Truckee John. Tried to get Brenda and Dennis McGlynn to go the next year, but they were sceptical. Since then I hear it has really taken off for jumpers. It was cool to be flying over a bunch of people already tripped out on drugs! Had a blast! Took an aerobatic plane up and gave rides! Some kids wanted to hang out with us jumpers-they did a bunch of X stayed up for days then flipped over their dune buggy and got hurt. We took them to the hospital in the Twin Bonanza and kept the dune buggy-drove it all around making patterns with the rim of the one missing tire which we could see from the sky. I left it out on the playa and gave the keys to the kids from Empire to go fetch for their own. The next year they gave us free tickets and welcomed us like celebrities! Thems were the good 'ol days! B|

OK, so I downloaded the stuff Ad aware 6 personal lavasoft from that site, Installed it, now what is it supposed to do, How will it tell me it's working? pardon my ignorance.
Also Compaq Quick restore wanted to be installed so I installed that too. Do I need to do something extra to run it?
Pardon my ignorance on this matter. Vould use some advice.

Click the Ad Aware icon on your desktop.

In the program window that pops up, locate the web update button. It looks like a mini globe with a magnifying glass, in the upper right corner.
Click it. Click "Connect" in the pop-up. Agree with everything that pops up until the update is finished. (Should be one "OK" and one "finish")

Update is now done.

Main screen again, click the "start" button.

In the next page, click the dot next to "Custom scanning options" to select it, then click "customize". In the "Scan settings" box that pops up, just make sure all possible selections have a green check mark. Two will be "X" that cannot be changed, the rest must be green. Click "Proceed".

Main screen, click "Next".
Scanning begins.

Scanning complete, click "Next".

In this next screen will be a list of all the spyware found. Make sure there is a check next to every thing, then click "Next". In the pop up asking if you are sure, click "OK".

Selection is gone, close program with the X.

Done.

As far as the troll question, if you are accused of being one, and must ask what one is, you probably are one. http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=860514#860514 That will explain it.
It's your life, live it!

I just got a new Dell computer 2 weeks ago and I had to rebuild the thing from scratch yesterday because of spyware. I set my home page on Google and somehow, when I opened internet explorer, it would do one of two things (1) open to Google and simutaneously open another window with something called ZestyFind as the home page or (2) remove Google altogether as the home page and replace it with ZestyFind as the home page. Things were downloaded onto my computer that I did not even open, I guess thru pop ups or something. It was an absolute nightmare. My computer came with McAfee as the virus software. I utilized it and performed a scan and it found the Win32 virus in two folders and every time I scanned the pc, it found potentially unwanted programs (to the count of around 20 or so each time) that were all titled Adware something. Smartpops.com had downloaded itself along with something called ClipGenie and some kind of Downloadware. When I rebuilt the pc, I installed Norton's instead of McAfee's and I've got the setting on super paranoid to warn me if anything tries to get to the computer. I was sitting here reading the forums a minute ago and Norton's detected a Trojan trying to get in.

Does anyone recommend anything to go with Norton's to protect against spyware intrusions? Dell told me that Adware was questionable, matter a fact, all the Adware files that had been inadvertantly installed into my computer was half the reason that the tech decided that the computer needed to be wiped clean and reinstalled.

There is a difference here. You found Adware that had to be removed. Do not confuse this with AdAware, the tool that removes the Adware/Spyware.

Also, I will NOT use Norton anymore, since the last time I cleaned a system, the viruses I found were IN Norton.

www.avast.com Free virus scanner. Just do it. Unless you actually enjoy paying a company for protection that is available free elsewhere. [:/]

Ad Aware (In my post above) Just DO that one too, unless you like hijacking spyware tracking everything you do.
It's your life, live it!