FreeflyDom

Pd Spectre Vs Storm

Is the storm a replacement for the spectre or what. Does it perform better with the same wing load. Want to see what your thoughts are and if you could choose only one which one would it be.

Totally different canopies. Of the 2 I very much prefer the spectre, and so I've heard from a number of jumpers, while others really love their storm. YMMV.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

I have jumped both once and the difference is quite obvious. While the Spectre is a good plain canopy with relatively soft opening and moderate flare power, the Storm is way more fun to fly since it is faster and provide you with more flare at landing. The Storm 170 I have jumped at the Summerfest 2010 had a solid but quite alright opening. PD people told me that they wanted the Storm opening to be positive since that canopy can be used for CREW and CREW people do not want a canopy swivelling for 600/800 feet. When PD says that the Storm 7 cells gives you the impression you fly a 9 cells (faster and more flare) they are right. If I was going to get a 7 cell canopy, the Storm will be my choice.
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

I started out on a spectre 210 and did about 150jumps on that and recently sold my storm 190 that I did 300+ jumps on.... I defnitely preferred the storm. I thought it was much easier to land and definitely seemed to help me get back to the dropzone on a long spot... Never jumped the same size so take that into account..... They both opened great. My dislike about the storm was that after opening when the brakes are still stowed it is a very hard canopy to control. It wants to kind of "hunt" around which is scary if you happen to be too close to someone else opening. The spectre was solid and easy to steer in this configuration.... The storm was also very easy to fly proximity with others even if they were loading their canopies higher. This I liked considering I jumped it at about a 1:1.05

Hope that helps.

I started out on a spectre 210 and did about 150jumps on that and recently sold my storm 190 that I did 300+ jumps on.... I defnitely preferred the storm. I thought it was much easier to land and definitely seemed to help me get back to the dropzone on a long spot... Never jumped the same size so take that into account..... They both opened great. My dislike about the storm was that after opening when the brakes are still stowed it is a very hard canopy to control. It wants to kind of "hunt" around which is scary if you happen to be too close to someone else opening. The spectre was solid and easy to steer in this configuration.... The storm was also very easy to fly proximity with others even if they were loading their canopies higher. This I liked considering I jumped it at about a 1:1.05

Hope that helps.

I only put 3 jumps on a storm but found that it "hunts" as well after opening. It was easy to manage with a little rear riser pressure and then when it settled in straight ahead, I unstowed the breaks. It flies well and flares just strongly in my limited experience.
Life expands or contracts in proportion to one's courage. ~Anais Nin

Having flown both, I too chose the Spectre. The opening does take longer but I'm a bit older and can't afford to get walloped.

I didn't notice a more powerful flare with the Storm but only jumped it 5.

Since I have to be careful of an ankle, I need something I can shut down in no wind conditions. The Spectre does that nicely and I highly recommend it.
You live more in the few minutes of skydiving than many people live in their lifetime