bertusgeert

cycle touring

I am going to Colorado (from Kentukcy) this summer, and I thought it would be cool to ride a bike there instead of driving. This morning I saw one of those trike bikes, where you sit inbetween the wheels. This would be much mor comfortable.

Has anyone ever attempted something similar? Where do I get those bikes? And how long do you think it will take me?

---------------------------------------------
As jy dom is moet jy bloei!

>This morning I saw one of those trike bikes, where you sit inbetween
>the wheels. This would be much mor comfortable.

They are pretty comfy. I have a Greenspeed trike, a "tadpole" (that's a trike with two front and one back wheel.) You can also get delta trikes with one front and two back wheels. The tadpoles are safer but harder to build and thus more expensive.

You might also consider a two-wheeled recumbent. Your choices there are short or long wheelbase (short is easier to transport, long is more stable and can carry more load) and USS or ASS (under or above seat steering.) I also have a Linear LWB USS recumbent that's very comfortable for long trips. Only drawback is that they do not climb hills well since you can't get your weight over the cranks.

>Has anyone ever attempted something similar? Where do I get
> those bikes? And how long do you think it will take me?

I make a 120 mile ride to the desert about once a year. You can get the bikes at a few places; do a search on "recumbent bikes" on google for a dealer in your area. I can average 60-80 miles a day on a long tour, depending on how much I carry. It's possible to ride coast to coast carrying little more than a credit card and a change of clothes, but most people take more than that.

For a list of available bikes check out:

http://www.recumbent.com/recumbents.html

When I get home (tomorrow at 0500), I'll send you the link for the Whiz Wheelz Terra trike. It's so comfortable that I did 60 miles on mine the first time I rode it. You could easily do the trip you're planning on one of these.
Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.
-The World Famous Tink. (I never heard of you either!!)
AA #2069 ASA#33 POPS#8808 Swooo 1717