R6F4orR1

Older Used Rig...whatcha think?

#1 http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/classifieds/detail_page.cgi?ID=97756;d=1

Found this one, I'm interested in it. From what I have found on Sunpath's site, this will fit up to a 280. It has a 265 F-111 main in it, 220 reserve. I have requested some pictures of the rig and main. Previously I posted about looking for something around a 210, but I have no problems with a larger canopy. My main concern is the age of the container and the fact it sat in a basement for so long. I will NOT purchase any used gear without first having it inspected by a rigger I trust.

I'm looking for opinions about the age of the system and if there were any issues with the older Javenlin's that would be reason not to pursue this rig. Also, what kind of downsize options would I have, or is the 265 it currently has the smallest that would work?

#2 http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/classifieds/detail_page.cgi?ID=97760;d=1
There is also this rig. I haven't heard much about Dolphins, but since I don't recall seeing anyone jump them at my DZ, I haven't really considered them as an option. Does anyone have any info about them?

I am mostly interested in RW, but I do want a rig that I could try freeflying, if I wanted to.

Thanks!

Hi mate, i wouldnt buy that first rig for the following reasons.
Reserve is 23 years old and too old if u ask me.
The jav container sounds like it is in great shape which i would have no problem jumping but it is a j7 which is a massive container and not really much good to you when u downsize. I owned a j5 jav which was big and had a 215 in it, i then jumped a 190 and down to a 170 but that was a loose fit and as far as i could downsize. So really you probably couldnt put a canopy smaller than a 210 in it.
The falcon is deffinitely a jumpable canopy with only 90 jumps on it, Sure its old technology and some people at the dz may give u crap about it but they forget how many hundreds of thousands of jumps have been made safely on falcon canopies in the past. So if this rig was real cheap it wouldnt be such a bad buy but its not worth $1500. there are better deals that come up out there.
there is nothing wrong with a dolphin container, sure it is a basic container but nothing wrong with them. I brought a 95 model one once which was good for freefly. the second rig doesnt mention a main so its hard to comment on it. cheers

Reserve is 23 years old and too old if u ask me.

I know of a few riggers that wouldn't touch a 23 year old reserve.

Do you really want to be under a 265ft²? How much do you weigh? What were you jumping for student gear, and how were you landing it?

ETA Just found your other post... You would probably be wanting something smaller than that 240 you were jumping as a student.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

It has a 265 F-111 main in it, 220 reserve. I have requested some pictures of the rig and main. Previously I posted about looking for something around a 210, but I have no problems with a larger canopy.

I'm sure that the 210 you had in mind would have been a modern z-po canopy, but even if you were shopping for an F-111 210, there is a HUGE difference between a 210 and a 265.

What you need to do is sit down with one of your instructors, and discuss the canopies you have jumped to date, and your current level of skill under canopy. From that you can hone in on a range of sizes +/- 20sq ft, such as a 200 to a 220, or a 190 to a 210, and go from there.

You will want to look for a reserve about the same size as your main, and within the range you and your instructor come up with, Then you will need to locate a container that will accomodate the main and reserve of your choosing. If you look for a container that was made for the exact size canopy you're looking for, you can count on being able to downsize at least once in the future while keeping the same contianer and resvere.

If you have unique needs in regard to harness sizing, or are just having a hard time locating the exact size, you can generally use a container made for canopies one size bigger or smaller than the one you intend to jump. A larger container will actually make it easier to pack, but then you will have less flexibility when moving down in canopy size (too small of a canopy in a container will be a loose fit and can comprimise safety). A smaller container will be more difficult to pack, but you may be able to use it through two canopy downsizes.

If you were looking for a 210, an F-111 265 is the last thing you would want, and buynig a container that could hold it would aslo be a huge waste of money. You mentioned having used gear inspected by a rigger you trust, what you need to do is apporach that same rigger and ask for assistance in locating good used equipment. Some canopies and some rigs are known as 'less than' and if you can avoid getting stuck with them, you'll be better off in the long run.

Proper gear selection is a big deal. It can and does have an effect on your safety, and the enjoyment of your jumps. Enlist the help of a professional (that rigger) for this first rig. By the time you are ready to change part of it, or buy another one, you should be more familiar with you own needs and the equipment in general.