jtval

DVD burning

I just bought a dvd burner(for my computer)
if I wanted to send a DVD to canada, australia,etc...out of country) will it work? I know the VCRs are ntsc and pal and I know that there are regions for formats on DVDs but how will I find the info on which format canda is? etc.

Or am I way off base, will a DVD work in any dvd player/
My photos

My Videos

Canada is NTSC - here's a full list of the other NTSC countries: http://archive.ncsa.uiuc.edu/SCMS/training/general/details/ntsc.html

Here's another good link that suggests you can just send NTSC discs to anyone and they'll work, even if the recipient is using a PAL system TV http://www.danslagle.com/mac/iMovie/tips_tricks/6017.shtml

DVDs you burn at home won't have a region restriction and should play in any DVD player - region coding is typically done for copyrighted films, etc.

Enjoy - Blue Skies

AWESOME..THANKS

But I still think Im doing ti worng. LOL (but I only got it yesterday) for some reason the DVDRW wont erase and let me do it over. I dont think the file closed the dvd but I could be wrong.

( and I thought if the DVDRW WAS closed that it would play on a dvd player.[:/])

it wont play on a reguler dvd player but on mine it does. that doesnt help though b/c mine plays VCD,DVD,DVDRW,MP3's etc....[:/]
My photos

My Videos

depedns, as you already know there are regions, but its not the ntsc/pal as much as copy rights.

anyway, as long as it will be viewed on a PC DVD drive there are software solutions that will alllow any DVD to view any region's DVD.

as for regular DVD players, there are some that are multi-regional.
not sure if you can get them in the US but here you can buy a DVD player that will play pretty much anything.

hell, even blockbuster keeps movies that are marked as region 1 (israel is region 2) so you can sometimes rent movies before their officially out B|

O
"Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero."

Actually I have one of those types of DVD players, but when I send this DVD to a friend They may not be able to view it.:S

If you're burning the DVD yourself (not making a copy of a hollywood disc), the resulting burned disc won't have a region restriction encoded on it - and will play in any player, even an unmodified one. (if I'm not mistaken)

The other issue you bring up is compatibility with DVD+/-RW - I have two DVD players, the older one (Panasonic DVD-A100) will play only DVD-/+R, and the newer one (Sony NS700P) will play both DVD-/+R and DVD-/+RW - it has to do with the optical properties of the disc and the age/model of the player. If you want maximum chances of the disc working, burn a DVD-R or DVD+R rather than an RW.

Here's a useful site with compatibility reports by type of DVD player http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers.php

Blue Skies

But I still think Im doing ti worng. LOL (but I only got it yesterday) for some reason the DVDRW wont erase and let me do it over.

Dumb question, but.... You are using a DVD RW disk, right? Just because the burner is RW, you can't use a plain old CDR disk. It has to be an RW disk.

If your DVD burner won't format DVDRW media after it's been written to once - I had that problem with mine - a Plextor 704A - I had to update the Firmware from Plextors website - took care of it in a jiff. If you have more questions about anthing to do with DVD's go to http://www.dvdrwhelp.com and you'll be able to find the answer to almost anything DVD related.

Z

Dumb question, but.... You are using a DVD RW disk, right? Just because the burner is RW, you can't use a plain old CDR disk. It has to be an RW disk.

Yup, I was using DVDRW, I just bought a spindle of DVD-R's Ill try that to see if the older DVD player will play it, It may just be too old to play these types.

FLYER2DIVER,
Nah, Not intersted in burning hollywood types,yet. just trying to burn some Skydive footage taken from friends cams and edited by me( but now I have my own cam:ph34r:)
My photos

My Videos