kevin922

Mile-Hi Jumper collides with spectator

link

Skydiver, spectator collide at race
Gusty winds cause Mile-Hi skydivers to crash-land at CU

By Todd Neff, Camera Staff Writer
June 1, 2004

A flag-bearing skydiver crashed into the Folsom Field stands Monday, injuring a woman who was watching the Bolder Boulder.

Skydiver Jason Tolliver was one of six men from Longmont's Mile-Hi Skydiving Center intending to guide their red, white and blue parachutes into the grassy heart of Folsom Field Monday to kick off the 26th annual Bolder Boulder. All are experienced skydivers, but just one came in on target after their 4,500-foot plunge.

Advertisement

Gusts of wind hurled Tolliver into the first rows of Folsom Field's northwest stands, where he slammed into a 38-year-old Fort Collins woman whose name has not been released. CU police and staff from a Pridemark Paramedic Services ambulance parked a few yards away ran to the woman's and Tolliver's aid.

Tolliver suffered minor cuts to his forehead despite his helmet. The woman was carried away immobilized on a stretcher as Memorial Day proceedings continued at the center of Folsom Field. She had serious facial cuts but appeared to be conscious.

Preliminary reports said the woman appeared to have sustained "some potentially serious injuries," CU police Lt. Tim McGraw said.

Boulder Community Hospital spokesman Lynel Vallier said the woman remained in the emergency room roughly two hours after the 11 a.m. incident. The hospital would not release further information about woman's condition Monday night, citing confidentiality laws.

of Boulder had been sitting next to the woman who was hurt. She said people saw Tolliver coming and scattered. Tolliver brushed her on impact, she said.

Jason McGowin of Boulder, was there with Day. He said the injured woman "took the brunt of it and her face came down on one of the seats."

All the skydivers walked away from the scene, which was remarkable considering their awkward impacts and unconventional landing areas.

Skydiver Byron Dormire was the only jumper to land on the stadium turf.

Mike Buechel said he came down on a CU roof "a couple of buildings over."

Eric Johnson came down hard feet-first at a nearly 90-degree angle to the metal of the nearly empty north stands. Although he walked away from the accident, he appeared shaken afterwards. His wife, Jenn, was in tears.

Skydiver Chris Smith took a similar trajectory to Tolliver's, but avoided the stands, skidding across the hard plastic covering the Folsom Field turf like a rock thrown onto a frozen pond.

"Winds picked up after we left the plane," he said. "We got a report prior to exiting that winds were favorable." Brendan McHugh, the final jumper, intended to bring the American flag into the stadium, which Mile-Hi Skydiving had done with precision since 1991. The other skydivers each carried a flag from the five military service branches.

He ended up in a Russian olive tree south of the stadium.

McHugh said he knew at about 3,000 feet above the turf he wasn't going to land in the stadium, and was 50 feet above an open parking lot when he spotted power lines and opted for the tree landing.

McHugh said high winds had canceled practice jumps into the stadium planned for Sunday. He said Mile-Hi Skydiving had anemometers measuring wind speed on the stadium floor as well as the stadium roof, and that wind had been consistent and less than 12 mph — the company's cutoff for making a jump — for an hour before the jump.

"We know what the winds are doing at all points, but five minutes before the jump, you're committed, and we were committed," McHugh said. "Before the exit, we knew it might be difficult to actually hit the stadium."

National Weather Service meteorologist Bill Ray said the service's 4:02 a.m. forecast called for winds from the west between 15 mph and 25 mph, shifting to the northwest and picking up to 20 mph to 30 mph by late morning. Gusts of up to 40 mph were expected, he said.

Cliff Bosley, director of the 47,200-runner event, said he was concerned for the injured woman's well-being.

"It's tragic. As positive a thing as the race is and the Memorial Day celebration is, it's really hard to have something like this happen."

Bosley said the Bolder Boulder still planned to have Mile-Hi skydivers back next year, though.

"We won't hesitate," Bosley said. "Their organization is very professional and we think it adds a lot to the Memorial Day tribute."

"We know what the winds are doing at all points, but five minutes before the jump, you're committed, and we were committed,"

Hmph. You're not committed till you're actually in freefall.

Why do people insist on doing demos in crappy conditions (and yes 15 - 25 is crappy)? Doesn't do the image of the sport any good. It certainly doesn't hurt it as much calling off the demo than it does frapping in on a spectator.

Bosley said the Bolder Boulder still planned to have Mile-Hi skydivers back next year, though.

"We won't hesitate," Bosley said. "Their organization is very professional and we think it adds a lot to the Memorial Day tribute."

yeah till she sues...

I hope the newspaper report is inaccurate, but I guess we'll see when someone who was actually on the dive responds.

Blue ones,
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

>>I hope the newspaper report is inaccurate, but I guess we'll see when someone who was actually on the dive responds.>>

Bad news for all concerned especially the injured lady.

The demo team is under a microscope by a lot of folks the bottom feeders may be nipping at their heals.

The 5 minute misquote was reported by the press:S. If its not a misquote I wouldn't take the demo teams explanation with a grain of salt. Damage control time. Personally sounds like a act of god to me. Maybe a micro burst?

Disclaimer: Just my uneducated opinion. I'm not a expert in jumping, on demo's or wind conditions.

R.I.P.

Hey isnt there a forum for this? Oh yeah thats right.....Incidents.

Joe
For long as you live and high you fly and smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry and all that you touch and all that you see is all your life will ever be.
Pedro Offers you his Protection.