Squeak

XPs SP2

So I just spent 9 fuggin hours downloading this, what's it do that's worth that much download time. ?

Fickien 97.2MB Jeez that's more than my 1st 2 computers combimed had in hard drive space.:S:S:S
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I'd suggest get HIGH speed internet my friend. :)

Our broadband is horendously ezxpensive, it starts at $30p per month for 200MB. I DL that in a day on a 56k modem, I'd be broke on broadband:(:(

What I want to know is why we can't get everything on one line, Pay TV, ISP, and Phone. Surely the technology is capable of providing all of it one one line and a decent price.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

What I want to know is why we can't get everything on one line, Pay TV, ISP, and Phone. Surely the technology is capable of providing all of it one one line and a decent price.

that's happening, slowly, but happening, Internet, TV and now phone.

Ivan, I'm starting to get the feeling that you work for Microsoft.

By the way...how can you go about downloading the 72meg SP on a different computer and then transfering it. I could download the admin version (whatever they call it) but it's really large and I don't currently have the hardware to transfer that, and I don't want to buy it.

FallRate

Ivan, I'm starting to get the feeling that you work for Microsoft.

By the way...how can you go about downloading the 72meg SP on a different computer and then transfering it. I could download the admin version (whatever they call it) but it's really large and I don't currently have the hardware to transfer that, and I don't want to buy it.

FallRate

The ADMIN version yes, indeed is way too large, the other version comes thru Windows Update, so you will have to download it anyway.

It might be a way to "tranfer" it, but you might need to do some tweaking and it might not work, if you look in your WINDOWS folder, you'll see some folders starting with "KB" and also if I'm not mistaken the SP2 is labeled SP-something, I can't tell you for sure because after updating my system I deleted them to save space, I'm a geek so I know what I'm doing :P

Thanks for the reply. My current residence is very close to the middle of nowhere and the only high speed available is satellite, and it is rather expensive. I'm not that much of a web junky.

I'll probably just take my desktop into work and update it there.

FallRate

I hate to break this to you, but you can also order a disk instead of downloading the whole thing, and the disk I ordered only took about a week or so to get to me. It's nice to have the current patches, etc....... but the firewall and pop-up blocker suck for advanced users.
Goggles and Teeth

"You fall like a greased safe!!!"

I hate to break this to you, but you can also order a disk instead of downloading the whole thing, and the disk I ordered only took about a week or so to get to me. It's nice to have the current patches, etc....... but the firewall and pop-up blocker suck for advanced users.

:D:DI'm hardly what you'd call an advanced user:D:D
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I recommend waiting a few more months before installing XP SP2 as long as u have a decent firewall and anti-virus and don't use IE. :S

Too late, and I do use IE, I also maintain Auto update from windows and my Virus server(Daily). Plus I use mailwasher to screen my emails & only get emails as plain text.
So far I've managed to catch all the viruses and worms that have been attacking over the last few years BEFORE they get me;) (Hope it continues hat way)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Why I haven't downloaded it, and won't for a while is this, from my University's website:

Please be aware that there are known issues with this service pack and Virtual Private Networking (VPN). Using VPN to access the UWSP network appears to stop functioning after installation of this service pack. Our staff is currently working with Microsoft on this issue. If you use VPN to access UWSP resources (student h: drives, library resources, personal files, etc...) we strongly suggest waiting until a solution is found before upgrading to this most recent service pack. Please watch Message of the Day for additional information regarding this issue.

It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

So I just spent 9 fuggin hours downloading this, what's it do that's worth that much download time.

I downloaded the 270-mb admin version at home on my fiber optic connection in just over 7-min. The KB- filename conforms to update libraries in patch management programs that "push" patches to clients on a LAN environment.

That may well explain why our work server keeps freezing up.
Thanks Jim I'll pass this onto our techie to see if he knows abut it.:)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

It probably won't help you, since I have no idea what the work around is, but this was also posted:

September 2, 2004

The message below was posted to MOD/SMOD last week indicating known issues with Windows XP Services Pack 2 and Virtual Private Networking (VPN). If you have installed Windows XP Service Pack 2 and are no longer able to access UWSP resources using VPN, please contact the Help Desk at 715-346-4357 or email . We have a temporary solution to correct the problem until Microsoft releases a permanent fix which should be available soon (watch Message of the Day for more information).

Please contact the Help Desk with questions.

It's your life, live it!

Thanks for that
I emailed the fist quote to our techie, if nothing else at least he can get onto Microsoft Oz and complain to them. Up untill now I think we have been looking for an internal problem. we haveover 300 computers in our small network and they are accessed daily by kids 13-17 so almost anything can go wrong:D:D:D:D
Half of them think there Bill Gates and the other half work for computer demolishers;)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Cool. If there really is a work around,even if it is a temp one, it probably wouldn't hurt to shoot an email to the above address. Also, I edited my comment up there so that at least I could understand my typing. :S
It's your life, live it!