payback462

need reccomendation on music theory book

since its getting to be colder and quieter at the DZ i decided that i definetaly need to keep my brain from rotting this winter when im sitting waiting for something to happen.

so does anybody know of any good books on music theory??
im not a complete idiot when it comes to theory, but id like to know a lot more then i do;)

... trust me as a Xmusic major, dont do it!!

lol

theroy is such a pain in butt. as for books, go to any college book store and ask for one, most of the ones out there say the same thing, but alot of them have a alot if history in them
--------------------------------------------------
Fear is not a confession of weakness, it is an oportunity for courage.

take piano lessons. you'll get basic theory and application all at once. theory won't make much sense all by itself.

I would agree with this.

I just jumped in the same boat you did, and went and got myself a theory book.

Basics of music : opus 1 / Michael Zinn, Robert Hogenson.

It is pretty good, althoug I am getting bored with the latter half. Having a piano nearby, as well as working through exercises will def. help you out!

---------------------------------------------
As jy dom is moet jy bloei!

since its getting to be colder and quieter at the DZ i decided that i definetaly need to keep my brain from rotting this winter when im sitting waiting for something to happen.

so does anybody know of any good books on music theory??
im not a complete idiot when it comes to theory, but id like to know a lot more then i do;)

I bought a simple one called, "Music Theory Made Easy" by David Harp. He puts things in very simple terms, easily explains scales of major, minor, blues and country varieties, and provides a template for being able to easily find the notes of any given scale. :)
-Jeffrey
-Jeffrey
"With tha thoughts of a militant mind... Hard line, hard line after hard line!"

What kind of music theory?

Do you need a simple all of the above basics book?

Are you wanting to learn the history of the progression from folk, blues, rock, etc in terms of the progression of the music theory?

What exactly are you looking for, since its a very very broad subject.

One of the cooler things I've studied was the history and theory of electronic music. Not techno, but old school, long before mini-moog was invented. Back when people were first running recordings backwards and such. Early inventers and pioneers like Leon Theremin and the drastic change to music theory his Theremin (its a musical instrument, google it, its really really ineteresting) forced.

With each advancement in technology what was considered musical theory law was basically rewritten. What was considered music was redefined as well. VERY cool stuff.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

You're in luck, wonder down to Barnes and Nobles, they have a good handful of books that covers blues theory on guitar.

I bought one a while back, but I'll be damned if I can find it now or remember the title. It was pretty good as well...if I can remember the title I'll post it.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

If you are looking for something to improve your bass skills check out the website EADG4 and check out his book. But, it is not a beginners book and it may take some time before you get the hang of how he presents all the info. It is also the kinda book you practice, not just read. I am learning bass but I have been studying more drum theory and it has made a huge difference in my style and ablity to keep/make time.......now I just wish my play'n would catch up with my theory!:)
One more thing....I have been practicing scales on the piano for maybe 30 minutes a day and it has really improved my bass playing......so try out some piano too!:)

"Some call it heavenly in it's brilliance,
others mean and rueful of the western dream"