Bokito

Scotchgard

scotchgard won't remove stains, it helps prevent stains from penetrating the fabric. that said, use the one for furniture, not the one for carpets. used to be red for furniture and green for carpet.

checked your link, looks like the 'fabric and upholstery' is the one you want.
"Hang on a sec, the young'uns are throwin' beer cans at a golf cart."
MB4252 TDS699
killing threads since 2001

Hm. Chemicals on a rig? Is that really a good idea? Don't get me wrong, I'd welcome any help to keep my rig clean, but the thought of chemicals on it is just a uncomfortable. Are there any hard facts that show it's safe?
---
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.
~ Bertrand Russell

This is my first post, and I'm an AFF student with three jumps done.

There, my experience is plainly stated, so take this how you will.

So far I've been reading a lot of stuff on here and in books to try to absorb all I can. I'm obsessed with skydiving. Thanks for all of the good content on the site. I've learned a lot so far. Maybe it could save my life someday. Or every jump. Seriously, thanks.

Anyway, I chime in because I'm a polymer chemist wrapping up a PhD with my main focus being the degradation of Nylon as it applies to the offshore oil and gas industry.

That said, when it comes to a Nylon canopy, stay far the hell away from:

any sort of alcohol - methanol, isopropyl, ethanol (beer, wine, and spirits)

any sort of acid - from vinegar (acetic acid) to sodas (club soda even, think carbonic acid)

bases - bleach, for instance

Now, elevated temperatures (think closed car in summer,) can accelerate degradative processes when any of the above listed are present.

In fact, the main degradation mechanism of a polyamide (generic name which encompasses Nylon) is hydrolysis, meaning the addition of water and subsequent cleavage of an amide bond.

This doesn't mean you must not get your canopy wet, but it does mean you should let it dry promptly and don't dare let is sit somewhere hot (car) for an extended period of time when wet.

Other than that, solvents that dissolve nylon are relatively rare, and you most likely aren't going to be encountering them in any consumer-oriented product. But if you were wondering, I use meta-cresol and 1,1,1,3,3,3-hexafluoroisopropan-2-ol to dissolve samples for analysis.

I can't speak on scotchguard or anything else people may regularly be putting on a canopy, simply because I don't know what chemicals are involved. I merely wrote this to try to give back some information to a community from which I have gleaned so much.

AJG