pms07

Talon FX

I assembled and started jumping a new Talon FX a couple of weeks ago. So, thought I would post my initial impressions and compare to my previous rig, a Talon FS. All the jumps I’ve done on the FX so far have been with a wingsuit.

Appearance and quality on the FX are outstanding. Truthfully, that could be said about several popular rigs on the market. For me however the Talon FX stands out in comfort and performance. This rig fits me better and stays in place, without moving around on my back, regardless of what I’m doing in freefall. The legstrap design on the RI harness seems to move less than some articulated harnesses also. I don’t know why some articulated harness designs perform better than others but the Talon harness stays in place better and is more comfortable than other rig I’ve jumped.

The Talon FX feels much different on your back when compared to the FS. The most noticeable change is the fit of the yoke/backpad. The yoke on the FX is narrower and seems a bit stiffer over the shoulders than the FS...but very comfortable. The new yoke design seems to keep the rig from shifting around the shoulders. The backstrap/laterals are wider than on the FS also and this is a big improvement over the FS.

The FX is the first rig I’ve owned with space foam lining the backpad and legstraps. Very nice and an option I would recommend on any rig.

There are lots of changes from the Talon FS (mine was made in 2002) to the Talon FX. Most noticeable is a redesign of the main side flaps/riser covers into a single piece design. That makes FX look better with less wrinkles and seams. The FX top reserve flap is new also and makes a reserve pincheck easier. I like! Nice job on the RSL redesign as well, very clean and secure. The main toggle keepers on the FX are webbing versus the elastic on my FS. Seems more secure and should wear better than elastic.

My Talon FX is the FX2 size container, with a Sabre 2-135 main and PD-126 reserve in it currently. Both fit well. Packing the reserve: PD-126R fits very nicely in the FX2 container and the 5.25" recommended loop length seemed correct. I need to fill/smooth the bottom corners of the reserve just a little better but it looks very good, especially for a hack rigger like me. The little internal covers (not sure what they are called) that you tuck into the bottom of the reserve container with a packing fid over the top/front of the freebag, really seem to help shaping/smoothing the pack job. RI seems to have the rigger in mind when designing a rig.

I ordered the FX with wingsuit modifications; 96” main bridle, 30” main pilot chute and “cut corners”. All work well and are a typical wingsuit setup (do a search on cut corners if you aren’t familiar with the advantages/disadvantages of this, it’s been discussed a lot in the wingsuit forum…). I do have a minor issue with cut corners though; packing. It takes a bit more effort to make the bottom of the main container look nice with cut corners, though it’s a minor inconvenience at most.

Bottomline, the Talon FX is a very nice rig! Check it out if you are in the market for a new harness/container.

pms